SQE LLM

James5612

Junior Lawyer
Jul 2, 2020
Hi there,

In September I shall begin the SQE as part of the City Consortium at BPP, so I already have a training contract secured. We have the option to convert the SQE into an LLM by undertaking a professsional project. It requires around 600 hours of work which we must complete during our training contract. I was wondering if anyone knew what (if any) realistic benefits this might confer someone who already has a training contract? Or will I just be burdening myself for no real reward at a time when I shall already be working very hard?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there,

In September I shall begin the SQE as part of the City Consortium at BPP, so I already have a training contract secured. We have the option to convert the SQE into an LLM by undertaking a professsional project. It requires around 600 hours of work which we must complete during our training contract. I was wondering if anyone knew what (if any) realistic benefits this might confer someone who already has a training contract? Or will I just be burdening myself for no real reward at a time when I shall already be working very hard?

Thank you!
The only benefit will be that you can apply for postgraduate finance (even if your course is being funded by your firm).

There will be no other benefit it all honesty. It’s exactly like the LPC being topped up to a masters level course - no one actually considers it a true masters, it won’t help your legal career, it just helps from a student finance and potentially work permit perspective.

If you do it, I’d be asking the firm what support they will give you for this project. Taking on an additional 600 hours (that’s a day a week across the whole of your TC) is a massive commitment, and you’ll probably need easy access to information/resources to help you complete the project - some firms might not be so willing to do that (when I had a project for my Masters course, one firm wouldn’t allow me to do it on their systems where it meant their information was being published externally!).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.