SQE or GDL

Nathanww

Jan 7, 2022
Hello guys.

I am a non-law final year student from Hong Kong, and I am considering becoming a solicitor in the UK. I plan to self-fund my further studies (money is not a major concern here). I have some legal knowledge as I quit my law degree before reading for my current degree.

I am facing a dilemma as to the new SQE route. I plan to go for either one of the routes provided by ULaw:

1. SQE Essential (10 weeks full time/ 16 weeks part time) --> SQE 1 prep course --> SQE 2 prep course

2. GDL (1 year full time/ 2 years part time) --> SQE 1 prep course --> SQE 2 prep course

I noticed that GDL is no longer a prerequisite for the SQE route. Yet, as a non-law graduate, should I take the longer course to better prepare myself for my SQE and career? Would reading a GDL give me a higher chance to get into a better firm upon graduation?

There isn't much information on the web right now, so I'd like to seek advice from you all.

Thanks!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
I would go for your option 2 (not least because bigger London law firms are putting people in for the PGDL and then SQE) and money is not such an issue for you and you plan to be a solicitor in the UK. Do look at law firms' websites for time deadlines too as they will often recruit people during the final year of their non-law degree (i.e. about 2 years ahead) so you would be applying now or even earlier if you were in the UK wanting a bigger firm to sponsor your GDL/SQE.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wouldn’t expect you to need to do the GDL and an SQE1 prep course - I’d personally suggest looking for a course/training provider who will cover both these elements.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.