SQE - paralegal work experience

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Hi All,

Following the recent developments around SQE I have been wondering whether it might be beneficial undertaking the SQE exam? I've worked as a paralegal for about 3 years now with a year of in-house experience. Just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this?

I'm applying for VS/TC's but not sure if I should also go for the SQE as I've already got that experience behind me? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All,

Following the recent developments around SQE I have been wondering whether it might be beneficial undertaking the SQE exam? I've worked as a paralegal for about 3 years now with a year of in-house experience. Just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this?

I'm applying for VS/TC's but not sure if I should also go for the SQE as I've already got that experience behind me? :)
Ultimately I’d talk to your firm you are working at about the value in qualifying and what that means for your career with the firm.

You’ll also need to check with your employer(s) whether they will sign off your previous work experience.

I’d suggest these steps first before working out whether you want to take the SQE exams, as if you do and you pass, you could basically skip the need to do a TC. However, you are then a qualified lawyer without TC experience and how employable you then are as a NQ is a huge question that no one really knows the answer to.

Reactions: Gunner07

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Ultimately I’d talk to your firm you are working at about the value in qualifying and what that means for your career with the firm.

You’ll also need to check with your employer(s) whether they will sign off your previous work experience.

I’d suggest these steps first before working out whether you want to take the SQE exams, as if you do and you pass, you could basically skip the need to do a TC. However, you are then a qualified lawyer without TC experience and how employable you then are as a NQ is a huge question that no one really knows the answer to.
That is extremely helpful advice Jessica! Thanks very much :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.