SQE preparation course vs law conversion course – SQE1 exam

W5690

Nov 4, 2019
Dear all,

As an international student, I studied Law for five years at the university in France where I obtained an undergraduate degree, a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and a postgraduate degree (a five-year degree, based on a competitive selection process). Also, I did not become a French qualified lawyer on purpose. Although my academic background is in civil law and not in common law, I am obviously not new to the field of Law, intensive law degrees/courses, and a huge amount of written and oral exams within those five years studying Law.

My goal is to become a qualified solicitor in England and I will take the SQE in due course, starting with the SQE1 exam. In light of my academic background, I am wondering whether I would rather enrol in an SQE preparation course that would cover the areas of law that are taught as part of a bachelor's degree in law and, by extension, as part of a law conversion course, e.g. the PGDL, in order to also allow me to master the foundational legal knowledge in-depth, or enrol in a law conversion course as long as the latter is also designed to prepare for the SQE1 exam. Also, although completing a qualifying law degree or a conversion law course is no longer a regulatory requirement by the SRA, some firms still expect trainees to have completed a qualifying law degree or a law conversion course prior to embarking on the SQE.

I would like to add that I am completely aware of the fact that the decision is very unique to my personal circumstances. Also, I have already researched a lot about all of this, attended several webinars, and asked questions in light of my personal circumstances. However, even though my initiatives have been helpful, I have not been able to make an informed decision yet. I would then really appreciate your thoughts @Jaysen @Jessica Booker @Alice G . In any case, any tips, advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you all very much for your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Doe

NicoleSU

Mar 31, 2022
Hi, I am facing a similar situation (LLB in China/civil law, and want to become a qualified solicitor in England).

I am going to do PGDL commencing in Sept 2022 mainly because (1) I want to have a more structural and comprehensive view to common law and (2) seems some law firms do prefer "non-law" student to go though PGDL/GDL according to their websites.

What's your decision on this?

Reactions: John Doe

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.