SQE with Barbri vs QLTS

chichi

Jan 30, 2021
Hello :) I’m planning on enrolling to either Barbri or QLTS for their SQE prep course, intending to sit the July 2024 exam for SQE1.

I work full time but I’m certain I can cram in 20 hours of studying over the course of the week. However, I just wanted some input from people about their experiences with Barbri and QLTS and which they would recommend.

The main reason I’m attracted by Barbri is (a) the personal tutor and (b) the personalised study plan. Given that I work full time, I need help planning and organising how/when I study. I do have Barbri textbooks for SQE1 and 2 but these are from 2022.

The only reason I’d go with QLTS is their mock exams as I’ve heard that they’re closer to the actual tests than Barbri’s mocks.

I’d love to hear from everyone about their experiences with Barbri and QLTS and which they would recommend, given my circumstances :)

methuselah

Standard Member
Feb 20, 2024
Deciding between Barbri and QLTS for your SQE prep, especially with a full-time job, can be quite a puzzle. From what I've gathered, both have their strengths and some limitations.

Barbri seems to be a solid choice if you're looking for structured learning. Their personal tutor service and tailored study plans are great, especially when you need that extra bit of organisation and guidance around your busy schedule. The materials are lean and direct, making them less daunting than the denser QLTS materials. However, some folks have noted that Barbri might not delve deep enough into certain areas like Criminal Practice or Property Law as applied in commercial transactions. Also, their approach to statutes and sections might need some extra attention on your part.

QLTS, in contrast, offers very comprehensive material. Their 6000-page study content covers a wide spectrum, which could be beneficial if you're looking for an in-depth understanding. However, this can also be overwhelming and might take longer to work through. Their mock exams are often praised for being closer to the actual tests, which is a significant plus when it comes to getting a feel for the real exam.

Given that you're balancing work and study, Barbri's streamlined approach and the support system might be more manageable for you. But you might need to supplement it with additional resources for areas where it's a bit light. That's where something like PastPaperHero (https://www.pastpaperhero.com/browse?board=sra&level=sqe1) comes in. It's a great tool to get extra practice with questions that mirror the SQE1 style, helping to fill in any gaps and boost your confidence.

Remember, the best choice depends on your personal learning style and what kind of support you need to balance your studies with work. Good luck with your prep and the exam in July 2024!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.