Squire Patton Boggs personal statement

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Hi guys

Merry Christmas to all! :)

Does anyone have any advice on the SPB personal statement for their London vacation scheme? It's only 300 words but on their website they give guidance here about what to include, and there's just so much:
    • A personal introduction – Think about what you think we ought to know about you as a person. At our firm, we love hearing about individuals and their journeys. Is there anything that makes you stand out or anything from your background you feel we would want to know?
    • Relevant skills, interests and experiences – These do not have to be entirely related to the legal industry; however, naturally, the legal side should take priority, if possible. Think about your legal and non-legal work experience, as well as your studies. What is it that you are passionate about?
    • Achievements – Think about what you are most proud of, this could be a work - or non-work-related achievement, or perhaps an achievement from your education. Again, think about relevance and how this links to the role of a trainee solicitor.
    • What you would bring to the organisation? We look at the whole picture when it comes to our trainees, so we want to know how you would work with our teams and the type of personality you would bring to us. Try to incorporate any legal knowledge that you have, as well as how this would benefit our firm.
    • Your professional or academic goals – The age-old question, “where do you see yourself in five years?” A cliché, I know; however, it rings true with us that this is something we would love to know about you. What are your goals? Where can you see your career heading? Think big, we love that!
    They also give tips that include offering your reasons as to why SPB and linking all your skills to the legal industry where possible. I just don't see how it's possible to fit all of this information into 300 words while still providing enough detail to fully evidence everything you say?!

It would be really helpful if anyone had any tips or even if you have a personal statement that you wouldn't mind letting me have a look at! I'm really stuck!!

Thanks so much in advance :)

Reactions: MW110601

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys

Does anyone have any advice on the SPB personal statement for their London vacation scheme? It's only 300 words but on their website they give guidance here about what to include, and there's just so much:
    • A personal introduction – Think about what you think we ought to know about you as a person. At our firm, we love hearing about individuals and their journeys. Is there anything that makes you stand out or anything from your background you feel we would want to know?
    • Relevant skills, interests and experiences – These do not have to be entirely related to the legal industry; however, naturally, the legal side should take priority, if possible. Think about your legal and non-legal work experience, as well as your studies. What is it that you are passionate about?
    • Achievements – Think about what you are most proud of, this could be a work - or non-work-related achievement, or perhaps an achievement from your education. Again, think about relevance and how this links to the role of a trainee solicitor.
    • What you would bring to the organisation? We look at the whole picture when it comes to our trainees, so we want to know how you would work with our teams and the type of personality you would bring to us. Try to incorporate any legal knowledge that you have, as well as how this would benefit our firm.
    • Your professional or academic goals – The age-old question, “where do you see yourself in five years?” A cliché, I know; however, it rings true with us that this is something we would love to know about you. What are your goals? Where can you see your career heading? Think big, we love that!
    They also give tips that include offering your reasons as to why SPB and linking all your skills to the legal industry where possible. I just don't see how it's possible to fit all of this information into 300 words while still providing enough detail to fully evidence everything you say?!

It would be really helpful if anyone had any tips or even if you have a personal statement that you wouldn't mind letting me have a look at! I'm really stuck!!

Merry Christmas!

I would treat the SPB information as simply suggestions, rather than a prescribed list. The key theme throughout is thinking about you, your experiences and achievements, what makes you unique, and what makes you tick. I would look at everything you've achieved so far, and think about how you can highlight your best selling points to the firm. It's fine if you don't cover all of the above.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi guys

My personal approach was picking 3 things I liked about the firm and why/why that suited me as an applicant. I think you definitely have the freedom to structure it however you like!

Reactions: AliceL, cmaj and CF

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Wonderful, thank you both so much for your responses!!!! It was really stressing me out!!!! I currently have 600 words rather than 300 in an attempt to cover everything so I'll get cropping...

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    ah okay im confused because they said assessment centres will be end of january/ early feb and its already the 18th! and they havent finished VI's yet??
    Have people been invited to VIs? I thought the application deadline only closed on the 8th?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.