SRA - Character Suitability

Buseetra

Jun 16, 2021
Hi all,

This is a throw away account for privacy purposes. Please be kind with your responses. If I could go back in time, I would make better choices regarding who I hung out with. We are human and we all make mistakes.

I've recently obtained a training contract, having passed all the necessary checks, but I've become increasingly worried about the consequences of a past event.

In short, about 6/7 years ago, I was with a friend that was rolling up a joint (hash). The friend had what was probably less than a gram, although, as I understand the amount doesn't really matter. Anyway, we were stopped by the police and they asked me for my details, which I provided, and my friend was told that he had to attend the court to pay a fine as this was the second/third time he had been caught.

Having done an enhanced DBS check a few years after this incident, nothing showed up on my record. Everything was clean. Similarly, it has never cropped up on any standard DBS checks either. Unfortunately, I lost the paper that the police gave me after they concluded their investigations so I'm not sure what information they have on me. But, most likely, it appears that they gave me a warning. Not sure if this is formal or informal. I feel uncomfortable with applying for a Subject Access Request in case this past event comes to light. I hate the thought of it.

Can someone please advise me as to any consequences that I might face and whether I will have any issues passing the SRA Character and Suitability application?

The SRA have unhelpfully informed me that I should just apply for an early Character and Suitability application. However, having read through the application, there is no requirement for disclosure of a drug offence warning. Their guidance does not appear to stipulate this type of disclosure either. I really don't know what to do and I'm afraid that my chances of becoming a lawyer are close to zero at this point.

FYI: I've never committed any offences before or after this incident. My record is clean, apart from this one mistake I made 6 years ago. Also, I was over 18 at the time and reside in England.

I hope you can all understand my situation. I am not looking for sympathy and I do not see myself as a victim. I made a conscious choice and chose to hang out with a very different crowd back then. I have since severed all ties with such friends and completely turned my life around, achieving excellent academic grades and have been offered several vacation scheme places/training contracts.

Reactions: Alice G and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Firstly, I would ask the police force to confirrm whether you received a warning or not for clarity. You don't need to do a SRA to do this, you have a right to ask for clarification.

I have seen enough people with a lot worse be approved by the SRA so I don't think this will be an issue. However, it is better to over declare to the SRA rather than under declare and then something be highlighted. If you do choose to declare it (although I think you need clarity on what it is before you do), then you may want to line up a couple of strong/reliable character references to support your application.

Last edited:

Buseetra

Jun 16, 2021
Thank you for this.

Would I simply apply for a Subject Access Request to confirm what information the police hold?

Firstly, I would ask the police force to confirrm whether you received a warning or not for clarity. You don't need to do a SRA to do this, you have a right to ask for clarification.

I have seen enough people with a lot worse be approved by the SRA so I don't think this will be an issue. However, it is better to over declare to the SRA rather than under declare and then something be highlighted. If you do choose to declare it (although I think you need clarity on what it is before you do), then you may want to line up a couple of strong/reliable character references to support your application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for this.

Would I simply apply for a Subject Access Request to confirm what information the police hold?
It might be the easiest way (and also you should get the information back within a set timeframe) but I think you can just request this information.

Buseetra

Jun 16, 2021
Thank you, Jessica!

The ACRO website states the following in relation to a Subject Access Request:

• "It won’t provide you with information held about you on local police force systems, such as statements, incidents you’ve been involved in, or records of interviews. If you want information like this, or further details relating to any specific offence, you will need to contact the relevant police force."

If the SAR comes back clean, what should I do next, considering the above statement?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, Jessica!

The ACRO website states the following in relation to a Subject Access Request:

• "It won’t provide you with information held about you on local police force systems, such as statements, incidents you’ve been involved in, or records of interviews. If you want information like this, or further details relating to any specific offence, you will need to contact the relevant police force."

If the SAR comes back clean, what should I do next, considering the above statement?
That’s why I said you’d need to contact the force in question.

If the SAR comes back with nothing, then there is nothing to declare.

Reactions: Buseetra

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.