Strategic TC approach?

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi All,

After countless post AC PFO's, I have unfortunately not been able to secure a VS this year ( still waiting for one post VI) but have now started planning for my TC applications. I know that alot of the TC places go to vac scheme students so what I am trying to ask is - should I only be applying for TC's with firms that have a 20+ intake, any thoughts on this approach?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

After countless post AC PFO's, I have unfortunately not been able to secure a VS this year ( still waiting for one post VI) but have now started planning for my TC applications. I know that alot of the TC places go to vac scheme students so what I am trying to ask is - should I only be applying for TC's with firms that have a 20+ intake, any thoughts on this approach?

Hey :) I'm sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation I've been there and I know many others have too.

I don't think that approach is right - firms with smaller intakes than 20 could still recruit a good number of direct applicants, which would make it worth applying. If you want to base it on stats/approach it strategically, I'd suggest you try to find out which firms recruit exclusively (or mostly) from vacation schemes. That'll give you a number of firms to exclude.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hey :) I'm sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation I've been there and I know many others have too.

I don't think that approach is right - firms with smaller intakes than 20 could still recruit a good number of direct applicants, which would make it worth applying. If you want to base it on stats/approach it strategically, I'd suggest you try to find out which firms recruit exclusively (or mostly) from vacation schemes. That'll give you a number of firms to exclude.

Hey Jaysen, thanks for the reply.

I think I will just stick to my initial approach which is to make the best application and send them to the firms I am interested in despite the TC places, thanks for the encouragement.

Best,

Selma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Jaysen, thanks for the reply.

I think I will just stick to my initial approach which is to make the best application and send them to the firms I am interested in despite the TC places, thanks for the encouragement.

Best,

Selma
    Sounds like a great approach, let me know how it goes or if there's anything I can do to help!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.