Struggling with this TC application question- any advice?

njones95

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2022
"Please tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment."

So, I think this could be answered in one of two ways:

1) I could discuss a "personal" i.e. extracurricular/non-academic/non-work achievement that added value to my academic or working environment (and how it added value to it); or
2) I could discuss something I personally achieved at work, or academically.

What do you think they're trying to get at, and why?

The firm is Peters & Peters- they do a mix of white-collar criminal law and commercial law.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
I think you're overthinking the question. My interpretation is that Peters & Peters want you to tell them about any achievement (personal or professional) that added value.

You could structure your answer using the STAR/CAR technique and maybe have a sentence of the overall impact.

For the "working environment" you could give a directly related example i.e. you may have devised a new system at your workplace that allowed them to track something better which resulted in your promotion/bonus, etc.

Or, for the "working environment", it could be that you give the example of an extra-curricular that helped strengthen a skill that you now use in your work/academic life.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: njones95

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.