Studying in 2022-2023: LPC or SQE?

ap28

Aug 12, 2021
Hello,

I have just finished my Law degree and I am now planning to self-fund my postgraduate studies. During my postgrad, I will be applying for training contracts. I would prefer to do the LPC as the assessments suit me better, but I was wondering if there is any chance that by the time I would be able to start my training contract, the SQE will be preferred?

Also, if I would secure a training contract, would I have to take a gap year while the intake I am in does the LPC, or will I be able to start earlier as mine will be done by then?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello,

I have just finished my Law degree and I am now planning to self-fund my postgraduate studies. During my postgrad, I will be applying for training contracts. I would prefer to do the LPC as the assessments suit me better, but I was wondering if there is any chance that by the time I would be able to start my training contract, the SQE will be preferred?

Also, if I would secure a training contract, would I have to take a gap year while the intake I am in does the LPC, or will I be able to start earlier as mine will be done by then?

Thanks!
For a lot of firms, they will have filled their 2023 intakes and so a gap year is be likely. Some may also have already moved to the SQE, and so if you find the LPC you will only get an exemption to SQE1.

There maybe some firms that could recruit earlier intakes - we saw that this cycle when a good number of firms were backfilling 2022 and 2023 intakes after cautiously recruiting in 2020. But how likely it is that firms will be recruiting for 2023 is really difficult to say.

It is really going to depend on the firms you are aiming for. I’d potentially reach out to a few of them and get their views on whether self-funding an LPC course would be helpful if you were to apply to them. I suspect many might say either not to self-fund anything or go with the SQE.

And I guess that would be my advice. I don’t necessarily see the benefit of rushing into self-funding the LPC or the SQE unless you are applying to firms who don’t sponsor these courses. A decision like this is not one or the other - you could choose to not self fund either course and instead work and build up your CV.

• 🤝
Reactions: ap28 and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.