time2work

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 7, 2020
Hi all!

I have just graduated with a non-law degree from a RG university and intend on applying for vac schemes this coming 2021 winter and next summer. I come from a low-socioeconomic background and am a first-generation uni student so have very few professional/legal contacts that could help with legal experience. I really would like to use this summer to bolster my CV and put myself in a good position for the upcoming application season and would love advice on ways I can prep before the application season begins and boost my cv and attractability to city firms? I have very little legal work experience (but extensive experience in other stuff) and have not completed any vac schemes so would love any suggestions on how non-law grads can stand out?

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If you don't mind sharing, what other work experience do you have? I think most people get caught up in thinking they need legal work experience when you really don't. Also depending on what the non-legal work experience was, it can actually help you stand out as well.

Other ways you can bolster your CV is things like volunteering with a cause you're passionate about, learning a language, etc. It sounds minor but having "interesting experiences" that you can talk about in apps will again really help you stand out.

Other simple things you can do is start researching the firms you want to apply to, make a list including deadlines, and if you haven't interacted with the firms before consider applying for open days/events with them. I'd also recommend actually starting to think about and draft your answers to "why commercial law" because it can actually be really hard to come up with a non-generic answer.

Also heavily recommend applying to the Aspiring Solicitors Aspire Scheme or SEO London's Corporate Law Programme. They both offer things like application reviews, invites to events with firms, and great access to trainees and future trainees at different firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all!

I have just graduated with a non-law degree from a RG university and intend on applying for vac schemes this coming 2021 winter and next summer. I come from a low-socioeconomic background and am a first-generation uni student so have very few professional/legal contacts that could help with legal experience. I really would like to use this summer to bolster my CV and put myself in a good position for the upcoming application season and would love advice on ways I can prep before the application season begins and boost my cv and attractability to city firms? I have very little legal work experience (but extensive experience in other stuff) and have not completed any vac schemes so would love any suggestions on how non-law grads can stand out?

I would consider looking out for some of the virtual internship experiences, whether on Forage or with organisations like Bright Network.

I’d also look out for any online seminars/webinars that firms are looking too.

I suspect your CV is already in a strong position given what you have said. It sounds like you just need to show your personal drive for pursuing a career in law, and so being able to show these types of activities could be a good way to do that.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hi all!

Also, apart from the TCLA resources of which you are aware (and there is an annual scholarship programme), Joe Mallet just made his resources free. They are really targeted. https://www.jmral.com/

Plus Legal Cheek and Bright Network run week-long virtual vac schemes which are not competitive to get onto (though I think LC is next week?). Both are not too onerous but give you a really good overview of the profession, and some valuable activities (plus model answers).

Legal Cheeck (starts Monday.... skates on??) https://www.legalcheek.com/the-legal-cheek-summer-2021-virtual-vacation-scheme/

Bright (closes 14th July) https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/internship-experience-uk/law

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.