Summer Resits

funim

Premium Member
May 24, 2022
Hello everyone,
I am resitting my criminal and contract law exams in August time, as during the year I suffered very bad mental health.

I wanted to score as highly as possible (1st class worthy) however I feel as though I have no system for such resits. Half my notes are handwritting, and some are typed up.

I have scored 62% in one exam, 68% in another, and 52% in the last. I feel as though I am not fulfilling my potential and I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what strategies to use, to practice solving problem questions and essay technique? Even how to work effectively, have good time management and keep up productivity / motivation? I feel as though I have spent a lot of time researching how to study law effectively, but am still very confused.

My university has past exam questions, but no markscheme so I am not sure how to know what a good problem question response is like either?

I would really appreciate any resources, feedback or even a schedule you think I should follow.
Feeling quite anxious as I have little notes and not much time!

Thank you.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hello everyone,
I am resitting my criminal and contract law exams in August time, as during the year I suffered very bad mental health.

I wanted to score as highly as possible (1st class worthy) however I feel as though I have no system for such resits. Half my notes are handwritting, and some are typed up.

I have scored 62% in one exam, 68% in another, and 52% in the last. I feel as though I am not fulfilling my potential and I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what strategies to use, to practice solving problem questions and essay technique? Even how to work effectively, have good time management and keep up productivity / motivation? I feel as though I have spent a lot of time researching how to study law effectively, but am still very confused.

My university has past exam questions, but no markscheme so I am not sure how to know what a good problem question response is like either?

I would really appreciate any resources, feedback or even a schedule you think I should follow.
Feeling quite anxious as I have little notes and not much time!

Thank you.
Hey @funim,

I can see that you also posted this on the Premium Forum, but I will respond here.

I am really sorry to hear that you are finding things stressful and that you have faced difficulties with your mental health this year. I know from friends who studied law that it is a very demanding degree, so you will not be the only person feeling stressed about their results and struggling with revision. I am sure that there are others in the community that can relate to this feeling.

As a non-law student, I hope that my thoughts might also be applicable for studying law.

I found that having a revision schedule/timetable was the best strategy for ensuring that I revised effectively. It is always tempting to just jump in without planning ahead, but working with no specific topics and hours in mind left me feeling demotivated and on the edge of burnout after a couple of weeks. So dedicating some time towards planning your revision would be a great start. This would involve separating up topics, identifying your strongest and weakest areas and then allotting revision sessions accordingly.

It sounds like you are feeling a little overwhelmed with the task ahead of you. All I will say is that I only ever started revision for an exam about a month or so before my actual exam, so as things stand, you have plenty of time.

In terms of practice, I found going through previous exam questions and planning my answers really useful. I also found speaking to my professors/tutors about specific helpful, as it helped to clarify my thinking on certain topics. Have you tried reaching out to your module tutors to ask them any questions that you might have?

As I said though, I really am sorry that you are having such a difficult time. Please do tag me if you would like to talk anything further through 🙌

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.