Summer Vacation Scheme Thread 2019

a-858

Sep 20, 2018
Hi guys,

After extensive research on A&O I'm still struggling with this question: In your opinion, what one thing sets Allen & Overy apart from its competitors and why? (250 word limit)

I could speak about banking & finance, innovation etc - but I don't want to be too cliche.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Ahmed

Reactions: SameerS

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys,

After extensive research on A&O I'm still struggling with this question: In your opinion, what one thing sets Allen & Overy apart from its competitors and why? (250 word limit)

I could speak about banking & finance, innovation etc - but I don't want to be too cliche.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Ahmed

Pick whichever one you are the most interested in/you know about the most.

Don't worry about being cliche for this question. It's about how well you answer the question and not how unique your answer is.

Reactions: a-858

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with Linklaters question 'what are the two major changes and industry disruptions that could impact Linklaters and our clients'. Would you approach this question as a general 'disruptions in legal world', or do I specifically have to tie my answer to Linklaters? So for example, how is the rise of legal tech affecting/ will affect Linklaters as opposed to other firms?

Thanks!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I have been struggling with Linklaters question 'what are the two major changes and industry disruptions that could impact Linklaters and our clients'. Would you approach this question as a general 'disruptions in legal world', or do I specifically have to tie my answer to Linklaters? So for example, how is the rise of legal tech affecting/ will affect Linklaters as opposed to other firms?

Thanks!
    Actually, there is an interesting article (https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/02/03/magic-circle-law-firm-enters-smart-contracts-race) which could be very useful. My advice is to research the firm, look which practice area makes more money and from that pick a trend and analyse and discuss it. Smart contracts are particularly important for insurance, healthcare and banking sectors.

Reactions: Camilla Gionso

Reyak

Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I was in the middle of writing my answer to a commercial awareness question when I realised the question asked for a current 'legal issue' and how it affects the legal market as opposed to a 'commercial issue' (always read the question!).

Would people say there is a difference between a 'commercial' issue and a 'legal' issue (for the purposes of this question)?

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I was in the middle of writing my answer to a commercial awareness question when I realised the question asked for a current 'legal issue' and how it affects the legal market as opposed to a 'commercial issue' (always read the question!).

Would people say there is a difference between a 'commercial' issue and a 'legal' issue (for the purposes of this question)?
    Depends how it's worded! What is the question?

Reyak

Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2018
    Depends how it's worded! What is the question?

'Please choose a current legal issue that interests you and describe how it affects/may affect the current legal market' (Addleshaw Goddard application)

I was going to talk about quantitative tightening and its impact on private equity work for commercial firms, but I guess quantitative tightening isn't a 'legal issue' in itself (even though it has legal implications)?

I realise this may be a stupid question so my apologies!

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    N
    'Please choose a current legal issue that interests you and describe how it affects/may affect the current legal market' (Addleshaw Goddard application)

I was going to talk about quantitative tightening and its impact on private equity work for commercial firms, but I guess quantitative tightening isn't a 'legal issue' in itself (even though it has legal implications)?

No question is stupid in my opinion.

It helps to see that it explicitly says legal issue so yeah, I'd stick with something that's explicitly to do with that. Otherwise you're right, general issues will still effect the legal market

Reactions: Reyak

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

That's a great question actually, I used to struggle with it myself.

You may find this thread helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/addleshaw-goddard-question.836/#post-4869

How would you define legal issue? I would think most of technology/AI would be more of a commercial issue. However, my interpretation does limit what comes under "legal issues" a fair bit, so I may be wrong on this.

Here are some ideas about factors affecting law firms now on this definition:

Legal issue
    AI/tech (e.g. if you focused on the legal ramifications of having AI as a legal services provider)
    Emerging markets (I imagine this would fit if say you focused on legislation restricting law firms from operating in particular jurisdictions)
    Cybersecurity
    Banking regulations e.g. ringfencing
    Bank scandals e.g. manipulation of LIBOR
    Brexit e.g. financial services firms losing passporting rights or amending/revoking EU legislation
    Alternative Business Structures
    GDPR/data regulation
    Saudi Aramco IPO

Commercial Issue
    AI/tech
    Cybersecurity (both)
    Brexit (both)
    Legal tech
    US firms and competition
    NewLaw
    Agile working
    Alternative fee arrangements
    Talent
    Outsourcing work
    Emerging markets
    Diversity
    Efficiency/process improvement
    Investment in US
    Topical news stories: Chinese trade war/GDPR/rising interest rates/US stock market sell off etc.

I think you are right that there is a difference between commercial and legal issues. I wouldn't say QE is a legal issue.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Reyak

Reyak

Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2018
    N

No question is stupid in my opinion.

It helps to see that it explicitly says legal issue so yeah, I'd stick with something that's explicitly to do with that. Otherwise you're right, general issues will still effect the legal market
    That's a great question actually, I used to struggle with it myself.

You may find this thread helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/addleshaw-goddard-question.836/#post-4869
    Can't believe I missed that thread! Thank you so much -- extremely helpful

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    1. What do you think are the main opportunities and challenges facing Allen & Overy and our clients in the next five years? Please explain your answer

How should I go around answering this question? I am a little stuck. I feel it would be cliched to say technology, but perhaps I could say competitive market? raising client expectations?

What's interesting is that asks about the "clients" as well, so it's something to consider.

Thanks.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    1. What do you think are the main opportunities and challenges facing Allen & Overy and our clients in the next five years? Please explain your answer

How should I go around answering this question? I am a little stuck. I feel it would be cliched to say technology, but perhaps I could say competitive market? raising client expectations?

What's interesting is that asks about the "clients" as well, so it's something to consider.

Thanks.

Agreed with all of the above. Any of them could be both an opportunity and a challenge. FYI - it's OK to be cliche for questions like these.

Now just try to narrow down what you want to talk about for each reason. Try to be specific and think about how you can apply it to your understanding of A&O.

Reactions: FutureCity

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Hi guys,

not sure this is the right place to post this, but I took Weil's critical reasoning test on 20th of December and I still haven't heard back from them. I know Christmas holidays have been in between, but would you advise sending an email to check if I took the test correctly? Or they will definitely get back to me at some point.

Thanks!

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

not sure this is the right place to post this, but I took Weil's critical reasoning test on 20th of December and I still haven't heard back from them. I know Christmas holidays have been in between, but would you advise sending an email to check if I took the test correctly? Or they will definitely get back to me at some point.

Thanks!

I think you should give them some time, they will defo get back to you at some point. Due to the festive season, they could be behind on apps and progressing applicants to the next stage etc

If you don’t hear back from them mid Jan, I would suggest sending an email to check if the test and everything else went through fine?

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018
    I think you should give them some time, they will defo get back to you at some point. Due to the festive season, they could be behind on apps and progressing applicants to the next stage etc

If you don’t hear back from them mid Jan, I would suggest sending an email to check if the test and everything else went through fine?
    Thanks Salma, I’ll wait some time then.

a-858

Sep 20, 2018
    Hi guys,

I'm writing my cover letter for W&C. I'm writing about my interest in project finance and my interest in their competitive advantage in being able to provide services in Africa.

I wrote about my heritage and interest in African development. My question is whether I should remove the part on African development, as they may think I should go into international development or public policy instead of commercial law?

Any advise is welcome.

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

I'm writing my cover letter for W&C. I'm writing about my interest in project finance and my interest in their competitive advantage in being able to provide services in Africa.

I wrote about my heritage and interest in African development. My question is whether I should remove the part on African development, as they may think I should go into international development or public policy instead of commercial law?

Any advice is welcome.

Hey Ahmed,

RE the African development point, I would not take it out completely as it is a valid point to make, as long as you provide a clear reason as to why your interest in Africa's development has motivated you to apply to W&C.

For example, in my application to W&C, I spoke about my interest in the projects and finance sector, particularly in Africa as I completed 1) law and society in Africa module at university, 2) a vacation scheme with a mid-sized firm where I assisted on research tasks for clients based in Africa and finally 3) my discussion with trainees at W&C open day about South Africa'a Renewable Energy Independent PPPP and the range of work this programme has generated for the firm.

As mentioned above, you just need clear reasons as to why you're interested in the firm's work in Africa, so your answer sounds more like you're applying for a training contract, rather than a consultancy position within the public policy/international development sector.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.