Suspending the LPC

MP

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2019
Hi All,

Newbie to TCLA here and not able to see if this topic has been discussed here before.

I have a question relating to suspension of the LPC. I currently work as a paralegal (in-house) for a FTSE250 company. At times, my work days are quite extensive and I do not always have time to study for the LPC after work. Yesterday, I took my I&A exam and completely buckled under pressure halfway through it (the tutor was reading the scenario so quickly that I got really confused when taking down notes). I find it really difficult that you cannot interrupt your tutor when they are basically reciting the scenario at a very fast pace - this would not be the case in real life with a real client but oh well.

I would like to suspend the LPC in the next week or so and restart my studies again in February just to get into a better state of mind and perhaps use some time until February to catch up on some of my modules.

Alternatively, I am also exploring the possibility of switching to the SQE route.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone suspended their studies and found it difficult getting a TC? Were you questioned extensively on it by law firms as to why you have suspended your studies?

Thank you :)

Note: 2:2 in undergrad from non RG university (MCs health issues+working full time while studying).

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would try to speak to someone at your university. I suspect you will need to factor in whether you can suspend your studies as this late stage, and what costs you might incur if you did. It’s not unknown for people to be committed to the course fees and potentially incur additional costs if you are already undertaking assessments.

I need to be frank with you - for a TC, many firms will look for some form of academic excellence. It is fine to have mitigating circumstances, but firms will then look for strong academic performance outside of those circumstances. By deferring, there is a risk that firms will be concerned that they cannot see that strong academic performance in more recent times and outside of those circumstances. If the majority of your academics are disrupted in some way it is difficult for them to see how you could potentially perform academically.

Reactions: Jaysen

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi All,

Newbie to TCLA here and not able to see if this topic has been discussed here before.

I have a question relating to suspension of the LPC. I currently work as a paralegal (in-house) for a FTSE250 company. At times, my work days are quite extensive and I do not always have time to study for the LPC after work. Yesterday, I took my I&A exam and completely buckled under pressure halfway through it (the tutor was reading the scenario so quickly that I got really confused when taking down notes). I find it really difficult that you cannot interrupt your tutor when they are basically reciting the scenario at a very fast pace - this would not be the case in real life with a real client but oh well.

I would like to suspend the LPC in the next week or so and restart my studies again in February just to get into a better state of mind and perhaps use some time until February to catch up on some of my modules.

Alternatively, I am also exploring the possibility of switching to the SQE route.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone suspended their studies and found it difficult getting a TC? Were you questioned extensively on it by law firms as to why you have suspended your studies?

Thank you :)

Note: 2:2 in undergrad from non RG university (MCs health issues+working full time while studying).
Hey @MP,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum! It is great to have you join the community. I am one of the Community Managers at TCLA, so please feel free to tag me, or any of the other CMs (@Jessica Booker, @AvniD and @James Carrabino) if you would like any further thoughts on anything.

I am sorry to hear that you have clearly been having an extremely stressful time recently. This is not a query where I feel that I can add any value, but I do think that Jess's insight is spot on!

Looking forward to interacting with you on the forums again soon 🏆

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.