taking a job outside of law

Hus95

Star Member
May 29, 2022
Hi all

Apologies if this has been discussed previously.

Im currently a paralegal at a national law firm in the serious injury department. Its been a valuable experience and I have enjoyed it amd gained new skills and insight. whilst I am leaning towards corporate law, im considering looking for a job in a different industry whilst applying for training contracts.

This is my first cycle since finishing my conversion course in 2020, mostly due a lack of confidence. im more motivated than ever and will be applying in every cycle from now on. Would leaving the sector be detrimental? i understand I can sell it as making me a more rounded candidate. would this be received well or would it be a mark against my application?

my main reasons are financial but also to see if there are particular industries I would like my legal career to be focussed on. As I never left home during university, I feel like its time for new surroundings as well. Im open to new paralegal roles, however they dont pay too much and I am looking for something different, provided it doesn't hinder my applications.

many thanks

Hus

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all

Apologies if this has been discussed previously.

Im currently a paralegal at a national law firm in the serious injury department. Its been a valuable experience and I have enjoyed it amd gained new skills and insight. whilst I am leaning towards corporate law, im considering looking for a job in a different industry whilst applying for training contracts.

This is my first cycle since finishing my conversion course in 2020, mostly due a lack of confidence. im more motivated than ever and will be applying in every cycle from now on. Would leaving the sector be detrimental? i understand I can sell it as making me a more rounded candidate. would this be received well or would it be a mark against my application?

my main reasons are financial but also to see if there are particular industries I would like my legal career to be focussed on. As I never left home during university, I feel like its time for new surroundings as well. Im open to new paralegal roles, however they dont pay too much and I am looking for something different, provided it doesn't hinder my applications.

many thanks

Hus
This may sound simplistic but I think you need to listen to what your gut says is best for you. Take all the information you have on hand, evaluate what your options are, and make a decision that you think will benefit you the most.

The truth is very few things in terms of work experience can hinder a training contract application. Because you're a new entrant in the industry, your previous experiences are looked at more roundly than someone else who's been in the industry for far longer. So non-legal work experience is valued and regarded to a high degree as well.

Every experience brings transferable skills with it and that's what you need to focus on conveying in applications. This will ensure that firms value what you value for yourself- whether its skills and lessons you've learnt in the legal industry or elsewhere.

Hus95

Star Member
May 29, 2022
This may sound simplistic but I think you need to listen to what your gut says is best for you. Take all the information you have on hand, evaluate what your options are, and make a decision that you think will benefit you the most.

The truth is very few things in terms of work experience can hinder a training contract application. Because you're a new entrant in the industry, your previous experiences are looked at more roundly than someone else who's been in the industry for far longer. So non-legal work experience is valued and regarded to a high degree as well.

Every experience brings transferable skills with it and that's what you need to focus on conveying in applications. This will ensure that firms value what you value for yourself- whether its skills and lessons you've learnt in the legal industry or elsewhere.
Thanks @AvniD sorry I didnt respond sooner. just completed a vac scheme as part of a TC application and its my first commercial law experiemce. I know that I am going to keep pursuing this but ive now come to the conclusion that a differerent type of role would aid my development so I am looking for non paralegal roles that will give me some industry expoure or develop my commercial abilities.

Youre right having spoken to some people I dont feel pidgeon holed into being a paralegal anymore so Im going to do all I can to secure a role and be prepared for the next TC cycle 😀

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Thanks @AvniD sorry I didnt respond sooner. just completed a vac scheme as part of a TC application and its my first commercial law experiemce. I know that I am going to keep pursuing this but ive now come to the conclusion that a differerent type of role would aid my development so I am looking for non paralegal roles that will give me some industry expoure or develop my commercial abilities.

Youre right having spoken to some people I dont feel pidgeon holed into being a paralegal anymore so Im going to do all I can to secure a role and be prepared for the next TC cycle 😀
    Hi @Hus95, congratulations on completing a vac scheme! I definitely agree that a different type of role in an entirely different industry is not a bad thing. There are so many transferable skills you can develop across pretty much any type of role. I think you just have to be aware that you're motivations for law still come across clearly in applications and that you're linking any transferable skills back to how they would be useful in a trainee/solicitor role. I'm a career changer so had to do this a lot - feel free to reach out if you'd like any further support.

Hus95

Star Member
    May 29, 2022
    Hi @Hus95, congratulations on completing a vac scheme! I definitely agree that a different type of role in an entirely different industry is not a bad thing. There are so many transferable skills you can develop across pretty much any type of role. I think you just have to be aware that you're motivations for law still come across clearly in applications and that you're linking any transferable skills back to how they would be useful in a trainee/solicitor role. I'm a career changer so had to do this a lot - feel free to reach out if you'd like any further support.
    thank you @Kubed!

appreciate your thoughts on this, I think for my short term happiness its a good option definitely and that will help my applications as well. still have to wai to hear back after the interview but I think even moving to a larger city with a bigger legal market would be of some benefit.

thanks again

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    thank you @Kubed!

appreciate your thoughts on this, I think for my short term happiness its a good option definitely and that will help my applications as well. still have to wai to hear back after the interview but I think even moving to a larger city with a bigger legal market would be of some benefit.

thanks again
    Hi there I have faced a similar situation. Been to two vacation schemes and a few corporate law experiences under my belt, but still no luck this cycle. Because of financials I'll be starting a job at the Big 4s (non-law). I had the same worries as you at first, but now I'm just trying to think as hard as I can, about how to make my way back to commercial law, and how would my experience help build me as a better lawyer.

I think using a different mindset will definitely help you, and you should know that the things you do in a non-legal setting might just be the things that set you apart from other candidates, or even other lawyers in the future (like different qualifications)!

Hus95

Star Member
    May 29, 2022
    Hi there I have faced a similar situation. Been to two vacation schemes and a few corporate law experiences under my belt, but still no luck this cycle. Because of financials I'll be starting a job at the Big 4s (non-law). I had the same worries as you at first, but now I'm just trying to think as hard as I can, about how to make my way back to commercial law, and how would my experience help build me as a better lawyer.

I think using a different mindset will definitely help you, and you should know that the things you do in a non-legal setting might just be the things that set you apart from other candidates, or even other lawyers in the future (like different qualifications)!
    congratulations on the job! that sounds like it would be incredibly valuable, being in a big 4 setting would be impressive on your application I would imagine. Do you mind if I ask what kind of work youre doing?

regarding qualifications ive thought about this, like maybe doing something related to compliance or AML.

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Thank you! I can say that I wasn't really that happy when I accepted their offer, cuz obviously commercial law is my aspiration!

I will be working in tax, so it's not completely unrelated to law. If I complete their program I will get three qualifications, including a chartered one (that is if I can endure it🤣)

Reactions: Hus95

Hus95

Star Member
    May 29, 2022
    Thank you! I can say that I wasn't really that happy when I accepted their offer, cuz obviously commercial law is my aspiration!

I will be working in tax, so it's not completely unrelated to law. If I complete their program I will get three qualifications, including a chartered one (that is if I can endure it🤣)
    Honestly getting a big 4 training programme is a phenomenal acheivement! and when you do apply imagine how unique and valuable that would look on your application.

good luck with the program, itll be worth it. when you qualify as a solicitor and have a chartered qualification youll be able to take over the world 😂

TJames12

Nov 21, 2021

I totally relate to this- albeit im not at big 4, I am taking a similar route to a TC. Currently a year into my current job (ATT/CTA), hoping to apply for VC's in the next cycle 🤞🏻V difficult to stay motivated about the job and exams when your interests lie elsewhere but hopefully worth it in the end! Nice to read about someone on a similar path to me!!!!

Last edited:

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    I totally relate to this- albeit im not at big 4, I am taking a similar route to a TC. Currently a year into my current job (ATT/CTA), hoping to apply for VC's in the next cycle 🤞🏻V difficult to stay motivated about the job and exams when your interests lie elsewhere but hopefully worth it in the end! Nice to read about someone on a similar path to me!!!!
    Great to know someone is experiencing sth similar to me. May I ask if you are currently working in an accounting firm too? And do you mean TC or VS next cycle?

Reactions: TJames12

TJames12

Nov 21, 2021
    Great to know someone is experiencing sth similar to me. May I ask if you are currently working in an accounting firm too? And do you mean TC or VS next cycle?
    Sure! Im working in an accounting practice (Top 20), mainly doing tax compliance! Im gonna apply to VC's in the hope I can convert one to a TC. It will be my first cycle mind so not setting my expectations too high.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.