Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there, I'm currently a second-year law student at a top RG uni. I got 3A*s at A-levels and finished first year with a mid/high 2:1, even winning some academic prizes. However, my mental health has deteriorated severely in second year, to the point where I've missed most of my classes and deadlines. As such, I've decided to take the rest of the year off and re-start second year in Sept 2022; would this significantly affect my chances at a TC for magic circle/US firms?
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I think you are doing the right thing as your health has to be prioritised.

No - I don’t think this will be an issue. There are mitigating circumstances and if you go on to do well in your second year and/or further studies you will be able to show it was a blip down to those circumstances.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.