Talk about a commercial issue and how it impacts the firm

Grumpy Grandma

Oct 19, 2019
Hi everyone! Im having an interview with a firm that focuses mainly on cap markets and funds. And Im wondering should I just talk about issues that could easily relate, like brexit, trade war (chinese Us) or Covid 19? And should I put my focus on those issues on that particular firm? E.g. Trade war lead to xxxxx thats why your firm will be xxxxx affected? Or should I just be more general? Thanks for everyone's insights.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone! Im having an interview with a firm that focuses mainly on cap markets and funds. And Im wondering should I just talk about issues that could easily relate, like brexit, trade war (chinese Us) or Covid 19? And should I put my focus on those issues on that particular firm? E.g. Trade war lead to xxxxx thats why your firm will be xxxxx affected? Or should I just be more general? Thanks for everyone's insights.

It really depends on the question. Sometimes, a firm will ask you about a news story that interests you or that caught your attention. In that case, I would suggest choosing a topic that genuinely interests you and one that you've read about fairly extensively so that you can handle any follow up questions. Topics like Brexit, the trade war and COVID-19 are fine if you are interested in these areas, they are just very broad and a firm will likely be hearing these topics frequently (the trade war perhaps not as much).

If the firm asks you to choose a topic that is relevant to a firm, then you'd want to be more specific than your proposed phrasing. That kind of phrasing could apply to any law firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.