Talking about a deal at interview

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
I have an interview on Thursday and I'm struggling to flesh out my answer about a recent deal they've worked on. My interest in it largely stems from the companies involved and the wider topics which this touches up.

Can I talk about this in interview? I get stuck on how to go beyond the deal and how I should do that

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have an interview on Thursday and I'm struggling to flesh out my answer about a recent deal they've worked on. My interest in it largely stems from the companies involved and the wider topics which this touches up.

Can I talk about this in interview? I get stuck on how to go beyond the deal and how I should do that
Be prepared to talk about why you choose that specific deal out of the 100s of other you could have chosen.

Also be prepared to talk about how/why things happened rather than them actually happening.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I also have some notes on how to tackle this question from Simranjeet Kaur Mann's Instagram. I find her advice really helpful. Use the description below to make more sense of the picture attached.

BLUE- Here I describe the news story briefly - it's important to keep this brief to set the scene. Law firms want to know more about your personal take on the news story and how it relates to them, rather than a longwinded description of what's happened.

Yellow- go straight into answering the next part of the question - note I don't provide a vague reason for why this news story interested me; I provide two links to my personal experiences to exemplify my attraction to this story.

Green - provide a more in-depth analysis of the news story, together with my personal opinion and a further quotation from a Judge. This highlights I've gone out of my way to research this topic further, thus showing a genuine interest in the article.

Orange- Here I focus on the last part of the question. Admittedly, I could have maybe mentioned more. However, note what I did write was specifically targeted at the firm I was applying for and showed dedicated research, rather than vague reasoning.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 1.48.04 PM.png
    885 KB · Views: 337

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.