Talking about a topic that interests me in an application

zeydi

Sep 26, 2022
Hi all, I have came across "tell us about a topic that you know, and why it is interesting to you" question.
Before attempting to answer the question, I wanted to ask if there is a certain way or technique to approach these kind of question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I have came across "tell us about a topic that you know, and why it is interesting to you" question.
Before attempting to answer the question, I wanted to ask if there is a certain way or technique to approach these kind of question.
There isn't a certain way or technique - I have seen many different approaches work to this question.

However my key advice is:
  • Pick something you are genuinely interested and knowledgeable about
  • Explain where the interest has come from.
  • Unless the question specifically says so, it doesn't have to be connected to the law firm in anyway - I have seen great answers from everything from 16th-century architecture, a particular wine region, martial arts, manga etc
  • Try to avoid a topic that is closely related to your degree or that you have covered in something like an extended essay or dissertation - this is an opportunity to show there is something different/additional about you - consider it an opportunity to show another "string-to-your-bow" rather than something the rest of your application demonstrates clearly already (same goes for work experience)
  • If suitable for the topic, be willing to show/hold an opinion on it.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.