Tax Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D.Cole, Jul 7, 2019.

1. D.Cole

D.Cole Active Member

Hi All,

I’m starting a vacation scheme soon and they’ve sat me in Tax - which has made me nervous since tax is meant to be notoriously hard and mathematical. I was wondering if anyone had done a vacation scheme in Tax (or sat there as part of your training contract) and could give me a rough idea of typical tasks you do, so I can prepare? For instance, what kind of maths will I need to know (e.g. percentages)? Can you recommend any resources to help me get to grips with it? (I wanted to buy a Tax law textbook but they’re £100+!)

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

I have limited experience with tax, so take this with a pinch of salt -- but it's likely the tasks you do on a vacation scheme will be very simple and won't require you to perform any complex calculations. You wouldn't be expected to have any prior understand of tax and I imagine they'll mostly involve you with research tasks and/or drafting.

The way you can impress is less about your existing knowledge and more about:
    • Do you show a willingness to learn?
    • Are you enthusiastic about approaching the work, even if it is outside your comfort zone?
    • Do you take feedback on board?

3. D.Cole

D.Cole Active Member

Thanks Jaysen!