Taylor Wessing App

aspiringlawyer2021

Junior Lawyer 8
Sep 4, 2018
What is your most significant achievement to date within your academic career? (250 words max)*

- would this include your working career or just at university/school?
- if university/school, could this include society achievements?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    What is your most significant achievement to date within your academic career? (250 words max)*

- would this include your working career or just at university/school?
    - if university/school, could this include society achievements?

I'd consider this question to be referring to university/school and achievements within your studies, rather than society achievements. This is especially the case as there is another question on the form for activities outside your academic career.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    But what if you don't have any academic achievements? Like getting good grades and doing alright, but nothing that particularly stands that you could write 250 words on....I struggle with this question

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hey @Lily721, I think it helps to think more broadly than grades. That may be a good result but the main bulk of the question is interested in your action (STAR technique). Perhaps you had a tough time with a particular module or a particular essay, where you had to dig a bit harder to get a good grade, even if that wasn't top of your class, dean's commendation or whatever. It's what you did the recruiters are interested in.

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hey @Lily721, I think it helps to think more broadly than grades. That may be a good result but the main bulk of the question is interested in your action (STAR technique). Perhaps you had a tough time with a particular module or a particular essay, where you had to dig a bit harder to get a good grade, even if that wasn't top of your class, dean's commendation or whatever. It's what you did the recruiters are interested in.

Thank you! This definitely makes more sense. Just my mind immediately goes to things like top of the class grades or scholarships and I never looked it that way.

Reactions: Lumree

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    I'm penultimate year in Scotland so I'm not actually eligible for the vacation scheme but I am applying to the Trailblazing insight day! I should be fine by tonight just finishing up my application and then it'll be ready to go.

Are you sure you're not eligible? I did a Scots law degree (have now completed the GDL) but I'm pretty sure you could still do the vacation scheme without it!

Guilherme Carvalho

Dec 4, 2020
    Are you sure you're not eligible? I did a Scots law degree (have now completed the GDL) but I'm pretty sure you could still do the vacation scheme without it!

Because I am still in my penultimate year it is unlikely I would be allowed (as I am technically non-law) until my final year. I emailed grad rec but didn't receive a reply so I'm just gonna go ahead and apply to the insight day which at least I know I will be 100% eligible for.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.