TC Journey: Keeping myself accountable

Nishath K

Star Member
Dec 28, 2022
I want to make a post here to keep myself accountable for the next year, in my journey to get a TC.

Though I told myself to apply early this year, and be on top of things - I only started applying early/mid December.
I procrastinated and couldn't bring myself to start.
THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

I've let my poor A-level grades affect my confidence a lot - I need to let this go and focus on bigger and better things.

Need to keep repeating positive affirmations to myself - I am a desirable candidate!

This is my first cycle, and my goal is to make it to an AC. Even if I don't, I'm in a better place for next year.
No matter what happens, it's okay!

Last edited:

Nishath K

Star Member
Dec 28, 2022
So far...

PFOs:
Slaughter & May
Baker McKenzie
Clifford Chance
Dentons

WG:
CMS
DLA Piper
RPC

VI:
Irwin Mitchell (completely messed up)
Bristows (to be completed)

Waiting:
Linklaters (Seoul VS)
Allen & Overy
Latham & Watkins (bad app)
TLT
Ashurst
Burges Salmon
DWF
BCLP

Paralegal:
Flex Legal (Waiting for vacancies)
Capsticks
Freeths PFO

Reactions: Jaysen and ScoUting

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    I want to make a post here to keep myself accountable for the next year, in my journey to get a TC.

Though I told myself to apply early this year, and be on top of things - I only started applying early/mid December.

I got ABC at a-levels that I'm really ashamed of - I need to let this go and focus on bigger and better things.

Positive affirmations to self:
    I am a non-law RG graduate, with an upper 2:1 - this is amazing!
    I've done a 3 month legal internship - this is amazing!
    I'm trilingual - this is amazing!
    I run a private business - this is amazing!
    I am a DESIRABLE CANDIDATE!

This is my first cycle, and my goal is to make it to an AC. Even if I don't, I'm in a better place for next year.
    Hi Nishath!

This is great and I am here to help you keep yourself accountable.

If you are applying to W&C, S&C, Davis Polk, DLA Piper, Vinson & Elkins, Weil, Debevoise, Willkie, Latham let me know, I have either got a scheme there or passed their first application stage. And while I'm certainly not a pro I'd be more than glad to send you my apps/help review yours.

Can't wait to see you get a TC!

EDIT: In the meantime you said who you were applying to lol. Disregard everything I've said... All the best at the wedding.
    EDIT 2: If you still want my apps or any advice (not a pro) PM me :)

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022

I got ABC at a-levels that I'm really ashamed of - I need to let this go and focus on bigger and better things.

Positive affirmations to self:
    I am a non-law RG graduate, with an upper 2:1 - this is amazing!
    I've done a 3 month legal internship - this is amazing!
    I'm trilingual - this is amazing!
    I run a private business - this is amazing!
    I am a DESIRABLE CANDIDATE!

Hey you beat me to the punch! I have been meaning to make a post documenting my TC journey ages ago but never got round to it. I hope this can be a space where we can mutually motivate and support each other in the process of securing a TC.

Also, I have to say I love these affirmations! Its so so important to validate yourself in the process of achieving your goals.

Looking forward to seeing more updates from you :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Nishath K

Star Member
    Dec 28, 2022
    Hey you beat me to the punch! I have been meaning to make a post documenting my TC journey ages ago but never got round to it. I hope this can be a space where we can mutually motivate and support each other in the process of securing a TC.

Also, I have to say I love these affirmations! Its so so important to validate yourself in the process of achieving your goals.

Looking forward to seeing more updates from you :)
    Yes! I would love for people to share their experiences here.
    As a non-law applicant, applying to vacation schemes has been a very lonely experience. I'm always keen to hear how other people are progressing.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretrainee202X

Nishath K

Star Member
    Dec 28, 2022
    It has been a short while, so time for an update!

Received 3 PFO's in the last week so that sucks (DLA Piper, TLT, Burges Salmon)

Still waiting on 8 more firms and the results of 2 VIs, so still trying to keep optimistic. I feel like everyone has already done ACs, so I feel a bit anxious about the results of these apps.

Maybe its non-law ignorance, but I really didn't anticipate finding paralegal roles to be so hard. I've put in 3 more paralegal applications this week.

hirene

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 2, 2022
    I'm also waiting for Linklaters to get back for the Seoul vacation scheme, fingers crossed for both of us. Have no idea how I did on the online assessment tbh :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Nishath K

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    Hi Nishath, it is very inspiring to see the work that you've put in!! I saw your post above about feeling burnt out after this application cycle and applying to 17-18 firms in 2 months. I was in the same position as you last application cycle, so I know exactly how you are feeling! To reduce this feeling and ensure quality applications, I would recommend reducing the number of firms you apply to, and only applying to firms you can dedicate adequate time to. Perhaps around 10-15 would be a good number to reduce the burden on you, as well as get quality applications across. Best of luck!!

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    It has been a short while, so time for an update!

Received 3 PFO's in the last week so that sucks (DLA Piper, TLT, Burges Salmon)

Still waiting on 8 more firms and the results of 2 VIs, so still trying to keep optimistic. I feel like everyone has already done ACs, so I feel a bit anxious about the results of these apps.

Maybe its non-law ignorance, but I really didn't anticipate finding paralegal roles to be so hard. I've put in 3 more paralegal applications this week.
    Hey, I've written a post about this here. Not sure if you've seen it, but hope this helps! I've only started to interview for full-time roles now and networking / being pro-active is key...especially as an international candidate.

Nishath K

Star Member
    Dec 28, 2022
    Another update now that my sisters wedding is now over. Gosh, South Asian weddings are so exhausting!

The Linklaters PFO seems so long ago that now I feel grateful I didn't have to go through any language tests.

What was heartbreaking was the Bristows PFO. I really liked the firm, and I hoped I would make it further.

My DWF VI went horrible. 😭 There was so much to do, I only started preparing the night before I did it. My arguments were very repetitive and lacked structure, but I think the exhaustion made me more relaxed at least. Either way it is a good experience to learn from, but I have a lot of regrets, I know I could have done so much better with more time to prepare.

On the paralegal side of things:
    I onboarded with Flex Legal at the start of January, but it's been silent on that front - so I don't know when to expect anything to come through. For now I will keep slowly applying for other roles, and pray that something appears.

Hearing the horror stories from everyone who has completed the Jan SQE has instilled some major fear in me. I've been very complacent with my SQE studies for the past few months, so I will be going back on the grind for that now. To be honest, I'm still trying to work out what I should be investing my time into.

Just waiting for a few firms to reply, but I'm pretty sure most of the AC dates have gone for a bunch of them.

Briefly reflecting on my first cycle so far, I think I've learnt a lot where I should be looking towards for my next cycle. The fear that comes with starting the process has definitely subsided, I feel more confident for approaching the next cycle. ❤️

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.