TC Journey

dinoorchestra

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Hi everyone!

I have seen a few of these threads and decided to create my own since I noticed that I struggle with holding myself accountable for putting as much work into my training contract journey as possible.

I am a postgraduate student studying my LLM Intellectual Property Law. I previously graduated with a LLB Law degree. Outside my studies, I am committed to working pro bono with two legal advice providers as a student volunteer (admin tasks, helpline,..) and enjoy being involved backstage with stage crew for performances at my university or taking lessons with my university's fencing club. I started getting serious about applications last year, but because I suddenly struggled with medical issues (which required surgical intervention in the summer), my efforts were pretty much shut down. Nevertheless, I managed to get a vacation scheme and completed it! I try to take this as a motivation that I can do it, no matter what a disaster the last six months have been for me personally.

My goal for this year is plain and simple: get a training contract through vacation schemes! To get there, I want to complete one application and one TCLA course per week, as well as dedicate 30 minutes each day to practising critical thinking tests + commercial awareness, respectively.

To hold myself accountable for actually completing the work that I set myself to do, I will update the thread with an update every week.

Win!:
    Baker McKenzie Open Day - accepted

Currently I have the following applications pending:
    Taylor Wessing
    Bird & Bird
    Bristows
    Hogan Lovells
    Mishcon de Reya
    Reed Smith

I have heard back from:
    Linklaters Open Day - Rejected
    A&O Vacation Scheme - Rejected
    HL Lift Off - Rejected

Thank you so much for checking on my thread :) Feel free to stay around!

Last edited:

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Okay, first weekly update (of many hopefully)! Lets get into it.

I have not heard back from any of the firms that I have recently applied to. I have almost finished my TW application and plan to send it off by Monday next week! Fingers crossed for that one.
    For my commercial awareness, I read a lot about AI regulation this week (e.g. UK vs US vs EU approach to regulating it) and I think I now have a better understanding of how it affects clients and law firms alike!
    I also did some Watson Glaser practice throughout the week, usually 80% accuracy.

Reactions: flower

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    It's been a while since my last update, and I apologise for that. I had a busy past month, but that has not deterred me from continuing to apply to firms! In my absence, I have submitted an application to Taylor Wessing, Bird & Bird, Bristows and Hogan Lovells. I am also working on an application to Mishcon de Reya. I am especially hoping that I pass the application stage with Bristows because the nature of the work and IP-focused training contract really appealed to me a lot. But we will see what 2024 holds🤞Unfortunately I was rejected from A&O and the HL Lift Off programme. But that's okay, I have already continued my journey.

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    I got a PFO from Taylor Wessing, so I felt a bit disheartened going into this week - but I was accepted by Baker McKenzie for their Open Day next week, which makes me feel a bit better! Funnily enough, that one is on my birthday, so it better go well haha.

I also submitted my application to Mishcon and am finalizing an application to Reed Smith! The last two applications for this cycle then will be Osborne Clarke (7th January) and Baker McKenzie (17th January).

Fingers crossed any good news will get back to me!

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Hello, I am back for another update to keep my spirits up :) I have now submitted all the applications I wanted to submit this cycle! Now, I will play the waiting game and focus on VIs and ACs, etc., whenever they happen to come my way (hopefully). The current state of my applications:

Allen & Overy, Bird & Bird, Taylor Wessing: rejected

Bristows, Hogan Lovells, Mishcon de Reya, Osborne Clarke, Baker McKenzie: waiting to hear back

Reed Smith: test & video interview

• 🤝
    Reactions: wannabesheridansmith

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Another week over!! A lot has happened and I start to feel more confident that I am able to do this.

I have sat the Reed Smith test & VI this week and have also sat the Bristows VI! I am really nervous about the latter, because it is my favourite firm and hope that the way I approached it was good enough for the next stage - if anything, I want to continue with Bristows 🤞 How bad can you forget to look and smile at the camera and still be taken forward? Any advice would be so appreciated, my nerves are terrible right now.

I have also received an invite to Osborne Clarke's Virtual AC yesterday, which was a relief amongst all the busy VI prep.

So currently this is how it stands:

Bristows: Application -> VI
    Reed Smith: Application -> blended test and VI
    Osborne Clarke: Application and VR -> Virtual AC

Hogan Lovells: Application
    Mishcon de Reya: Application
    Baker McKenzie: Application

Rejected from: Allen & Overy, Taylor Wessing, Bird&Bird

• 🏆
    Reactions: wannabesheridansmith

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This feels awkward to discuss in public, but I really hope for some advice. I was asked to resit a VI because the audio quality was bad. Should I reply to the conversation or not? I am really stressed out. Thanks.

@Jessica Booker
    These technical issues happen all the time, so I really wouldn’t worry about this.

I would acknowledge the email and say you look forward to retaking the interview. If you feel you need further details on how to access to retake of the interview, then also state that in the email.

• 🏆
    Reactions: dinoorchestra

dinoorchestra

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    Thank you so much for the swift reply, Jessica. I have sent an email acknowledging the situation and expressing my interest in retaking the interview! That was the last VI for now.

Currently waiting.. hopefully there will be some good news.

Bristows: Application -> VI
    Reed Smith: Application -> blended test and VI
    Osborne Clarke: Application and VR -> Virtual AC
    Mishcon de Reya: Application -> VI
    Hogan Lovells: Application
    Baker McKenzie: Application

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.