TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

p272

Standard Member
Premium Member
Mar 18, 2023
@Jessica Booker / anyone else with insight:

How would you approach an interview question: 'tell us about a time you broke a rule" - it feels like a trick question and I can't think of a good example where I bended the rules in a positive way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker / anyone else with insight:

How would you approach an interview question: 'tell us about a time you broke a rule" - it feels like a trick question and I can't think of a good example where I bended the rules in a positive way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I’d try to think about anything where the rule is either outdated or not in people’s best interests anymore - that might help you identify something.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I got a rejection post-AC for the Farrer VS a couple of months ago. During the AC, grad recruitment encouraged those rejected to reapply to direct tc in the same cycle this summer. The questions are very similar and include cover letter for example. How much do you guys recommend changing my answers or is it ok to apply with the same answers i used for the VS?
    I'd generally recommend changing at least some of your answers, even if the foundation is the same. I usually find there are always opportunities to improve an applications - whether it's the way you communicate your motivations, how specific you are being in your examples or the clarity of the writing.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Hus95

Star Member
    May 29, 2022
    Hi all

got to the last stage of WBD' app process.it involves an assessment week in the office and a final interview. i havent done a vac scheme before but it sounds a bit like a vac scheme.

ill receive more details the week before the assessment week (late june). Does anyone have any advice on how best to prepare in general and how to combat nerves? never been this far before and quite anxious already

many thanks

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Has anyone ever had HR schedule a call before an assessment day? I’ve never heard of this before - does anyone have any idea what it might be about?
    Yes. That happened to me before Bakers AC for a vacation scheme. They just went through the day program and the different type of assessments (What to expect). However, this is not common.

Reactions: spamelinazoid

Fuelled By Caffeine

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 3, 2020
    I’m researching a firm’s recent deals for a training contract interview. How much detail am I expected to know for the interview? Having read about a few deals on the firm’s website and in the FT, I can discuss some of the relevant commercial factors pertaining to these deals, but I can’t really talk about what the lawyers involved did - ie the types of documents drafted? Is this level of detail necessary or is it sufficient to just have a high level commercial understanding of a deal?

Brodie

Standard Member
    Jan 2, 2022
    Hello, anyone completed a pre recorded VI with Howard Kennedy before? They seem rather discreet about the application process; if anyone has any tips or experiences I'd love to hear form you :)

latte23

May 9, 2021
    hi! does anyone who was successful in their freshfields application msg me with some advice? i feel rly lost and nervous after reading a friend's app 😭 i'm trying to plan ahead for the summer direct tc and would appreciate any and all help!! 😊

Reactions: Maham

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    hi! does anyone who was successful in their freshfields application msg me with some advice? i feel rly lost and nervous after reading a friend's app 😭 i'm trying to plan ahead for the summer direct tc and would appreciate any and all help!! 😊
    Does the applications open on the 1st of June ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.