TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
There is a difference in using something like Grammarly to refine your content and using ChatGPT to create content.

Grammarly is just an extended spell checker and you have been able to use similar grammar checkers on Word for decades with no issue.

I think the line is crossed though if you either run your general thoughts through AI to generate the writing. 1) it’s usually pretty obvious that has happened anyway, as it lacks personality/individuality and 2) this is not your own work/your words, and so is likely to cause issues if it is flagged/picked up.
Thank you so much for clarifying!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you're well. I have an interview for a paralegal role next week at a US fintech company. How do I best prepare for it? Also, do TCLA offer mock interviews for companies such as this?

Thank you!
Hi there - yes, we can adapt our mock interview service to cover all form of entry level legal roles. When you purchase your mock interview just ensure you provide more detail as to the role (any job spec information is helpful) and we can adapt the questions so they align more closely to what that organisation would ask for that role.

saj2002

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    I am feeling a bit discouraged. This is my first official round of applications and I've done three online assessments thus far. They all went either badly or just average (specific shout out to Amber Jack for being weird and general about their feedback).

I feel like I've nailed down application techniques but beyond that, I don't know... I am losing hope. Does anyone know how much weight online assessments usually hold? Specifically situational judgement tests, as I struggle with those. And is anyone else in the same boat?

(P.S. I am not applying to Magic Circle/Silver Circle/American firms, mostly mid-size international/regional firms).

nataliasayy

Mar 5, 2024
    If anyone is looking for accommodation for spring vac schemes 2024 in London, please feel free to pm me!

I have a spare double room in E1 (walking distance from city of London) to sublet for £200 a week. All bill and utilities are included, the flat is shared with 2 others; 1 male and female (LSE, KCL students), with 2 shared bathrooms, kitchen, living room and balcony. The room is available from 30th March to 27th April and is suitable for spring vac schemers.

I'd be happy to hold virtual or in-person viewings!

PS. Apologies to the TCLA team if this is not the most suitable place to post this type of listing. I am a student at LSE with several friends studying law. As I have a room in need of subletting and recognize that fellow vac schemers may be looking for accommodation at this time, I felt this post might benefit some members of the forum.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Erin and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If anyone is looking for accommodation for spring vac schemes 2024 in London, please feel free to pm me!
    I have a spare double room in E1 (walking distance from city of London) to sublet for £200 a week. All bill and utilities are included, the flat is shared with 2 others; 1 male and female (LSE, KCL students), with 2 shared bathrooms, kitchen, living room and balcony. The room is available from 30th March to 27th April and is suitable for spring vac schemers.

I'd be happy to hold virtual or in-person viewings!

PS. Apologies to the TCLA team if this is not the most suitable place to post this type of listing. I am a student at LSE with several friends studying law. As I have a room in need of subletting and recognize that fellow vac schemers may be looking for accommodation at this time, I felt this post might benefit some members of the forum.
    Hi there - not a problem to post this where it could be helpful to our community!

Reactions: Jaysen

ellabasing

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 27, 2023
    Hi Jess,
    I have been applying to Vacation Schemes for this summer with the hope of securing a TC, but unfortunately, have not yet been successful. While I am waiting to hear back from the remaining few, I have also been looking into applying for Paralegal/Legal Secretary roles in the case that I am not able to secure a VS. I originally planned to start my PGDL this September, however would you recommend to just apply for these roles despite not having completed this qualification yet or is that something I can’t do until I complete the PGDL and SQE? I have tried to do some research on this, but it seems that some firms explicitly state these qualifications as prerequisites, while others do not. Any advice or information you have would be greatly appreciated!

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker. Wanted to know ur thoughts on how project management skills can be transferred into law? I've seen roles such as legal project manager but don't quite understand its scope. Can u explain what these professionals usually do?

Law Student

Distinguished Member
    Dec 20, 2022
    Hi

I have an interview with a firm that I had a vacation scheme with last year. Do you think in my interview I should mention the vacation scheme frequently? For instance, if they ask why I am interested in the firm, can I say their values resonates with mine and link back to work experience and then say the vacation scheme confirmed I’m interested?

Also, do they think they’ll hesitate giving me a VS because I was unsuccessful on their VS before?

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Hi

I have an interview with a firm that I had a vacation scheme with last year. Do you think in my interview I should mention the vacation scheme frequently? For instance, if they ask why I am interested in the firm, can I say their values resonates with mine and link back to work experience and then say the vacation scheme confirmed I’m interested?

Also, do they think they’ll hesitate giving me a VS because I was unsuccessful on their VS before?
    Are you applying for a vacation scheme at a firm where you have already completed a vacation scheme? Normally that isn't allowed?

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    I am but you are allowed to reapply at this firm even if you have done a vacation scheme with them before!
    Hmm, ok, seems unusual. I would imagine they may be a little sceptical if you already completed the scheme. Maybe try speaking about how what you learned on the scheme helped develop you, and what you've done/learned since the last scheme means you are in a better position to apply yourself and hopefully be successful for a TC. I'm not really qualified to answer so maybe someone else can weigh in but I would think positioning yourself as 'I've done this before' may hurt rather than help, but it depends on how you position things. They will be quite interested in why you are re-applying and why you think things are different this time around.

Reactions: Law Student

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.