Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Is it accepted/okay to write e-mails to the partners/associates who interviewed you after accepting a VS offer? Thank them for their time, that you're looking forward to meeting them, saying you hope to get a coffee with them at some point, etc.

Thanks!
Yes. That is fine. Just keep it short - it doesn’t need to be much longer than what you have written in your post.

Reactions: a2931

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. While figuring out who the competitors of a firm are, do we just look at other law firms in the same practice area bands on Chambers or is there another method to answering this? I am trying to look up Baker McKenzie's competitors if it helps. Thanks.
You first have to define how you are going to categorise them as competitors. Looking at practice area bands on Chambers is just one way of doing this - there are plenty of other factors you could consider. Even identifying which Chambers rankings you would use is important here - they are divided up by location, practice area, and even sector - so think about which ones would you select to identify potential competitors.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Is anyone else very concerned about such low SQE pass rates? Will my firm drop me if I fail
    Hi, I was in the unfortunate position of failing one of the SQE1 exams by 1%. I had an agonising 2 weeks of waiting to hear if my firm would drop me. In the end they are paying for my resit and my start date has dropped back by 6 months. The work by the CLLS (quoted in the Legal Cheek articles) have helped firms to consider how to accommodate the situation.

If anyone is stressed about the SQE1 please reach out, I’d like to think I know how to focus revision efforts now I have experience of what the exam is like. Happy to share any tips :)

Last edited:

legallybrunette22

Aug 3, 2022
    I am currently a paralegal at a small high-street firm and am looking to move to a more prestigious paralegal role in the Government. Will silver circle/city law firms view this change from private to public sector unfavourably? I know this is quite a tricky question to answer but any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to risk my chances of securing a TC this summer! Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am currently a paralegal at a small high-street firm and am looking to move to a more prestigious paralegal role in the Government. Will silver circle/city law firms view this change from private to public sector unfavourably? I know this is quite a tricky question to answer but any advice would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to risk my chances of securing a TC this summer! Thank you
    No - I don’t think this will be an issue.

Reactions: legallybrunette22

LegalEagle999

Standard Member
    Jul 25, 2022
    Has anyone got any experience with flex trainee? Quite keen to hear your experiences in terms of matching process with clients and whether it takes into consideration the type of sector you would like to work / qualify in?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone got any experience with flex trainee? Quite keen to hear your experiences in terms of matching process with clients and whether it takes into consideration the type of sector you would like to work / qualify in?
    Just for complete transparency, I am helping Flex with their recruitment for their Trainee programme, so can explain how this works in reality.

Ultimately you choose which organisations you want to be put forward for though and Flex will explain how likely they are able to align you with your interests/where you would like to qualify.

Reactions: LegalEagle999

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    Does anyone have any information on the main differences and pass rates for the various SQE training providers. Seems to be that it’s between QLTS, UOL and Barbri? My colleague is studying with Barbri and she thinks QLTS or UOL provide a more in depth training materials.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any information on the main differences and pass rates for the various SQE training providers. Seems to be that it’s between QLTS, UOL and Barbri? My colleague is studying with Barbri and she thinks QLTS or UOL provide a more in depth training materials.
    Have only seen BARBRI publish their rates in the past, and these have been above the average pass rate.

BPP and ULaw have been particularly quiet and kept using the “insufficient data” excuse.

I would email them and ask them to provide this, especially before signing up to any course with them.

However, be mindful that this data is very easily manipulated to present something they want to present.

LegalEagle999

Standard Member
    Jul 25, 2022
    Just for complete transparency, I am helping Flex with their recruitment for their Trainee programme, so can explain how this works in reality.

Ultimately you choose which organisations you want to be put forward for though and Flex will explain how likely they are able to align you with your interests/where you would like to qualify.
    Thanks Jessica. For the company placements, do you get an option to go to more than one over the two years? Or are you locked in for the two years flex programme with one? I’m quite keen to look into apply for the next cohort but I would love to have an option to move into different areas over the two years (just to broaden experience/ exposure) so not sure if it’s possible

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica. For the company placements, do you get an option to go to more than one over the two years? Or are you locked in for the two years flex programme with one? I’m quite keen to look into apply for the next cohort but I would love to have an option to move into different areas over the two years (just to broaden experience/ exposure) so not sure if it’s possible
    With each client, they will explain whether it is a year or two year placement.

Many start as one year, but ultimately get extended by both the client and the trainee into the second year - many trainees realise they had built up a good reputation with their first year placement and want to leverage that. Some trainees do rotate though - they either want to experience a different sector or gain a different experience and Flex will always explain what is feasible/not possible based on the client they have lined up for when you will rotate.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me how I can look up the clients of a particular firm? (I'm looking up this information for Baker McKenzie if that helps)? If Bakers is acting on an M&A deal representing company 'X', then that doesn't really make X, Bakers' client (please correct me if I'm wrong here since I feel that representing a company in a one off transactions is different from calling them your clients) Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me how I can look up the clients of a particular firm? (I'm looking up this information for Baker McKenzie if that helps)? If Bakers is acting on an M&A deal representing company 'X', then that doesn't really make X, Bakers' client (please correct me if I'm wrong here since I feel that representing a company in a one off transactions is different from calling them your clients) Thanks.
    It’s unlikely a client would only work with a law firm on one matter, and even if they do they are still deemed a client.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

hopefulfuturetrainee24

Jan 17, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I am in the fortunate position where I have secured a TC and the firm will be paying for my SQE course/exam + maintenance grant. I was just wondering if you knew whether I would also be able to get the SFE postgraduate loan? I didn’t know whether there were rules against this If you won’t be using the loan to pay for the course. Thanks in advance

• 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I am in the fortunate position where I have secured a TC and the firm will be paying for my SQE course/exam + maintenance grant. I was just wondering if you knew whether I would also be able to get the SFE postgraduate loan? I didn’t know whether there were rules against this If you won’t be using the loan to pay for the course. Thanks in advance
    You can apply for funding as long as it is a masters level course - it is not an issue if this is effectively being paid for by other means.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are well. Could you please tell me, when people say their VIs had 'Commercial questions', what do they really mean? Am I expected to know the details of individual news stories doing the rounds or does the term 'Commercial questions' mean questions like 'Why do companies engage in M&A?' or 'What are the differences between warranties and indemnities?'

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.