TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I would email grad rec sooner rather than later explain the situation, in these circumstances they will hopefully understand.

In terms of rolling basis - Jess Brooker made some really valid points earlier in the thread "The standard the firm will expect will not change whether you apply on the first or the last day of applications - it is not like your chances lessen as the application window progresses. Therefore, if you think you were a good applicant in September, you are still a good applicant now and should apply." I think this also applies to video interviews.

If you feel like you won't be able to put your best foot forward, I personally would request an extension so that no matter the outcome I know that I did my best. Whereas if I was unsuccessful after doing the VI ill I would be gutted as I would be thinking if only I hadn't lost my voice I may have passed the VI.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with VI when you come to completing it.

If you cant talk and you have been unwell, you need to ask whether your interview can be deferred. They may say no, and then the decision is made for you.

But if they say yes, it is much better for you to defer and do it when you are better. I wouldn't worry about it being rolling - your priority is doing this when you are well enough.

Thank you both - I have emailed them, and will wait for a response.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A work experience section asks for “details, and explanation of how you feel you have benefitted from this experience”. For how I have benefitted, should I talk about the skills I’ve developed? Hard to know what they’re looking for here.
It could be highlighting any skills, knowledge or motivations gained from the experience that have helped you with your personal development/pursuing your career path.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
anyone knows the conversion rate for winter vacation schemes? specifically for jones day and simmons & simmons?
I personally wouldn't get too caught up on this. It can fluctuate from scheme to scheme even with the same firm, especially once you factor in people declining offers too.

Reactions: jnvkkbkjbkZXBJZX

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.