Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Not yet, I haven't responded to the second yet!
Ok - then you have several approaches you can take here.

Check if either firm can offer alternative dates

If not, ask whether the scheme can be shortened (this is unlikely although does happen occasionally)

If neither of those are options turn down your least preferred firm.

Reactions: Jaysen

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, do a lot of people go down the direct TC route in the summer and do you know what the success rates are (I assume it differs every year depending on needs). I just got back from my spring scheme and wasn't offered the TC. I'm in my final year and just feel awful about the future because self-funding isn't an option - do you know of anyone in this scenario and what they did?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, do a lot of people go down the direct TC route in the summer and do you know what the success rates are (I assume it differs every year depending on needs). I just got back from my spring scheme and wasn't offered the TC. I'm in my final year and just feel awful about the future because self-funding isn't an option - do you know of anyone in this scenario and what they did?
Thousands of people go through the direct TC route each year and hundreds of people secure TCs that way.

Some people will self fund, some people will go into further study, some people will just go into the world of work whether that be in law as a paralegal or outside of the sector.

Most people don’t secure a TC until after they graduate.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Hey, are you on Aspiring Solicitors Aspire program? Applications are open. I advise you sign up for it. It's open to those who haven't received a TC yet and you get coached + invited to exclusive opportunities, which could essentially equip you better in securing a TC for the upcoming Winter Vac Schemes (if you don't get a TC this summer).

With that being said, go all in with the TC applications! I would advise maybe applying for firms with a higher TC intake? This could increase your chances. Also don't overlook in-house opportunities!

It would also be worth searching for a mentor to guide you with TC interviews, maybe a weekly catch-up to get you used to the flow of how to secure that TC. There are several social mobility organisations to choose from that provide mentors (or contact a mentor/associate/trainee on LinkedIn).

If your motivator isn't money, I would look at Government Legal Trainee Scheme (HMRC, etc) > https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-legal-service-gls-legal-trainee-scheme-how-to-apply

However, if salary is a greater factor (which is completely understandable), then I would look at other in-house training contract opportunities - diversify your application submissions!

EDIT: Don't under-estimate the power of these social mobility organisations either (Rare, SEO-London, Brokerage, GROW Mentoring, Aspiring Solicitors, BrightNetwork), it could help tremendously, as they provide opportunities throughout the year.

Last edited:

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
How much experience does the government GLD TC expect - i dont have any legal experience and limited experience otherwise. Are they on the same bar as firm TCs in terms of expectations?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How much experience does the government GLD TC expect - i dont have any legal experience and limited experience otherwise. Are they on the same bar as firm TCs in terms of expectations?
None - they don’t assess your work experience at the application stage.

Reactions: wz_13
D

Deleted member 11671

I attended their diversity summer scheme and felt that they're more open than firms to people from different backgrounds. I didn't feel it was as high a bar as law firms, although it's still competitive.

Reactions: wz_13

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker - could you please shed some light about a written case study assessment which takes the form of a business report? Could you please explain what recruiters would be looking for, if there is any specific form the business report should follow and any tips? Based on your experience, it would be great if you could also flag any pitfalls that we should try and avoid. Thank you!

Samir_O

Legendary Member
Oct 5, 2021
does anyone have any insight on how to prepare for bakers case study partner interview? any advice, tips, or insight into case study partner interviews more generally would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: O

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi I just want to ask a question regarding pre-scheme meet-ups. A firm has just invited me to a trainee-organised event on an evening next week in London which sounds amazing however i am currently in my exam period at university the other side of the country (around 300 miles away) making it extremely difficult for me to attend due to scheduling and stress. Will it be detrimental to my position if i do not attend this evening as I truly care about the firm and do not want to show a lack of enthusiasm? Thank you.
Please do not worry about this - explain to the firm you are in exams and that it will effectively be a two day trip for you and will be at a time you need to focus on your exams. If they don't understand this, no matter how much you like the firm now this would be a very strong indicator to me that they are not going to provide you with basic support and understanding as a trainee.

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker - could you please shed some light about a written case study assessment which takes the form of a business report? Could you please explain what recruiters would be looking for, if there is any specific form the business report should follow and any tips? Based on your experience, it would be great if you could also flag any pitfalls that we should try and avoid. Thank you!
HI @Jessica Booker - grateful for your thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.