TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
No - it’s quite common to see these grades in applications. Many recruiters know what they are, and those that don’t can find quick comparisons to work out what they are roughly equivalent to in terms of A-levels. Some candidates also provide a rough calculation themselves as to what it is equivalent to (if they have a reliable source for this info).
Thank you so much!

EM23

Distinguished Member
Dec 10, 2022
Farrer and Co training contract application similar questions to vac scheme questions, should I use different answers? Have been successful for a vac scheme with those answers so don’t think I should change?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Farrer and Co training contract application similar questions to vac scheme questions, should I use different answers? Have been successful for a vac scheme with those answers so don’t think I should change?
I always advise updating and refining your application - some answers may still be the same type of content, but I would always consider whether you could describe things better/refine your written style, or whether your more recent experiences have either provided more recent/stronger evidence of your motivations or developed your skill set.

You can't assume just because your application was successful last time it will be this time too, especially where this is for a TC rather than a VS.

Reactions: EM23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

How many internships (during high school and before law school) do you reckon would pave way for an Open Day acceptance at firms like L&W, K&E?
You don’t necessarily need any. Your motivations and ambitions can be shown through many other aspects than just work experience/internships.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone help me, I applied for Stephenson Harwood winter scheme in November , didn’t get put on that but I told I was going to be considered for spring and summer , then every so often I get an email like you are being considered and they are still making decisions. And now it’s less than two weeks before the scheme starts and I have neither a rejection or an offer. I last heard from them in may and said they are still considering. @Jessica Booker
Sounds like you may have been on a wait list. I think if the scheme starts in two weeks it is unlikely (although not impossible) that you could join the scheme as onboarding processes typically take a couple of weeks, but there is no harm in contacting them again to see what the status of your application is.

alawyera

Standard Member
Feb 21, 2023
Hi any help here would be appreciated. I have been offered a place on the direct TC assessment day for my favourite firm, however it overlaps with another VAC scheme which I have accepted. Obviously attending both would be my preference - but how fatal would missing a day of a VAC scheme to attend another firm's assessment day be for the firm at which I have a VAC scheme? The scheme is a week long and there are no other dates available for the AC.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Guys, I have been a longstanding member of TCLA. I've faced countless of rejections after rejections. I must say this wouldn't have been possible without the support and encouragement of all of you guys. I remember posting about how hopeless and lost I felt about my training contract journey. So many of you guys messaged me and kept me motivated. Thanks to each one of you. I have now secured my training contract following my Spring vacation scheme. Thanks @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for everything you do for us, aspiring solicitors :)

Just returned from holiday and this was lovely to read. Well done - we are very proud!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi any help here would be appreciated. I have been offered a place on the direct TC assessment day for my favourite firm, however it overlaps with another VAC scheme which I have accepted. Obviously attending both would be my preference - but how fatal would missing a day of a VAC scheme to attend another firm's assessment day be for the firm at which I have a VAC scheme? The scheme is a week long and there are no other dates available for the AC.
    The first thing is you have to check with your vac scheme firm that you can miss a day. Some firms will say no, while others are accommodating.

However, if it is a week long, I personally don’t think it is a good idea to miss one day. It’s slightly different if it was 3-4 weeks, but because it is so short, I think it could have a big impact on your scheme.

I would instead ask again whether the TC firm can provide alternative interview dates. This is by far the better option here and if you explain you are on a vacation scheme they may just have more flexibility than they are currently suggesting.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Hey guys, I have an upcoming vac scheme and this may be a silly question but - a lot of people have advised that on the VS, i should try get coffee with as many people as possible to network and hear about their journey. My question is how do i approach someone and ask them if they want to have coffee? I am quite socially awkward so going up to someone i don't know and who is more senior to me is very daunting so any tips on how to ask this and go about it the right way would be great! Also, when I am having the coffee with them, what should i talk about/ask about? i don't want to seem all like corporate law obsessed, and i much prefer getting to know people personally rather than just having superficial questions so what is the right thing to talk about? I'd be generally interested in hearing about why they became a solicitor, their journey etc. but idk if i need to show i'm interested in more than just the basic stuff. idk maybe i'm overthinking it but any help is much appreciated!! thanks :))

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, I have an upcoming vac scheme and this may be a silly question but - a lot of people have advised that on the VS, i should try get coffee with as many people as possible to network and hear about their journey. My question is how do i approach someone and ask them if they want to have coffee? I am quite socially awkward so going up to someone i don't know and who is more senior to me is very daunting so any tips on how to ask this and go about it the right way would be great! Also, when I am having the coffee with them, what should i talk about/ask about? i don't want to seem all like corporate law obsessed, and i much prefer getting to know people personally rather than just having superficial questions so what is the right thing to talk about? I'd be generally interested in hearing about why they became a solicitor, their journey etc. but idk if i need to show i'm interested in more than just the basic stuff. idk maybe i'm overthinking it but any help is much appreciated!! thanks :))
    “As many people as possible” is not the right approach here.

Firstly, you should only do this if you have the time first of all - I have seen too many vac schemers spend too much time away from their department meeting up with people and not impressing their department/people they are working with.

Secondly, there needs to be a purpose or reason for meeting the individuals you choose to meet with. Meeting with anyone/everyone is not appropriate. Only meet with people if you are not going to have direct experience in their department, if they work in an area that particularly interests you etc. If you don’t know what you would talk to them about, there is no reason to meet with them.

I would try to find a more deeper reason for connecting with the individual than just to hear about their experiences. Why are you choosing them to meet with rather than another person on the firm? That will ensure your reasoning for meeting them is more tailored and that you have meaningful questions to ask them.

In terms of asking them, I wouldn’t over think it - just keep it brief and polite but explain your reasoning for meeting them and what you would hope to get out of the coffee meeting. You can also explain your availability too so they can consider this against their own commitments

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.