Technical question - bonds v equity

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019
Hi all

Had a technical question relating to a private company issuing public debt (i.e. bonds). Can a private company become a public company via a bond issuance instead of an IPO?

I don’t think a private company can issue bonds to the public whilst remaining a private company so I’m just wondering whether they’d need to become public via the stock market first!

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi all

Had a technical question relating to a private company issuing public debt (i.e. bonds). Can a private company become a public company via a bond issuance instead of an IPO?

I don’t think a private company can issue bonds to the public whilst remaining a private company so I’m just wondering whether they’d need to become public via the stock market first!

The key distinction between public and private companies refers to whether the shares can be traded. Private companies can still issue bonds while remaining private. For example, WeWork aborted their IPO earlier this year but had a bond issuance in 2018.

Reactions: W

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
Hi all

A. Bonds and IPO

Via bonds you get money, so you cannot become public by using them. :)

A company becomes public after issuing an IPO, i.e. people are buying shares in your company --> hence it becomes public bcos they own shares in it.

B. Can private companies issue bonds?

Yes, private companies can issue bonds.

C. Are private bonds issued only on the SE?

Nope, not necessarily.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/what-does-going-public-mean/
https://opentextbc.ca/principlesofeconomics/chapter/17-1-how-businesses-raise-financial-capital/

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.