Technical questions

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
Aug 8, 2020
I'm soon to have a vacation scheme interview with a firm known to ask rather technical questions about contract law. I'm currently using Schogger's Training Contract Handbook to prepare but would appreciate if anyone has any other resources to recommend. What sort of areas are they likely to focus on, and will I be expected to cite cases or just state the rules?

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
I'm soon to have a vacation scheme interview with a firm known to ask rather technical questions about contract law. I'm currently using Schogger's Training Contract Handbook to prepare but would appreciate if anyone has any other resources to recommend. What sort of areas are they likely to focus on, and will I be expected to cite cases or just state the rules?

Hi @Numerius Negidius

Congrats on getting your interview!

From my experience, any questions relating to contract law will usually be asked in the context of a M&A transaction. As such, you will be tested on your knowledge of key contractual terms and clauses. Therefore, to prepare, I'd think about questions such as:

- What is the difference between warranties, indemnities, and undertakings?

- What is the difference between a condition and a warranty?

- What is a condition precedent and what impact may this have in a contract?

- What is the doctrine of frustration and what are its impacts?

- What role do clauses such as a; force majeure, non-solicit and non-compete clause play?

From my range of experiences, I've never been asked to cite a case but if you are still unsure perhaps graduate recruitment might be able to offer some more clarity.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Great points from Naomi. You may also find it helpful to take a look at the wording of SPAs, facility agreements and confidentiality agreements online (simply by doing a Google search). You wouldn't be expected to have done this, but I find it helps a candidate to see how contractual terms are actually phrased.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: CF

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.