'Tell us about a topic you know' question

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
Commercial Writer
Sep 29, 2018
hi all,

it is the second time I come across this type of question in an application, so I was wondering which is the best way to approach it? can I talk about literally anything? would be good to see what some of you has answered if you have had it before!

thank you!

Harvey

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2018
hi all,

it is the second time I come across this type of question in an application, so I was wondering which is the best way to approach it? can I talk about literally anything? would be good to see what some of you has answered if you have had it before!

thank you!

Spoke with HSF Grad Rec about this question. It might seem like you have a lot of freedom to talk about anything you want, but actually it is very important that you somehow relate it back to the firm. So talking about your interest in Love Island is probably a bad choice. I would stick to a commercial topic that you're interested in.

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Spoke with HSF Grad Rec about this question. It might seem like you have a lot of freedom to talk about anything you want, but actually it is very important that you somehow relate it back to the firm. So talking about your interest in Love Island is probably a bad choice. I would stick to a commercial topic that you're interested in.
This is some well-needed insight into how to approach the question, thank you Harvey.

I've seen others find this question difficult elsewhere so I gave some tips over on this thread here @Camilla Gionso , which I pretty much geared to the question you've mentioned : https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....applications-and-cover-letters.638/#post-3241

Let me know if you have questions beyond that!

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

Hahaha when I saw Love island I could not stop laughing

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Can you confirm what grad rec said about finding it very important you relate a story back to the firm? I find this strange because the question does not ask you to do this. I have also seen successful applications where students did not do this.

Not to say that you aren't telling the truth but I do want to clarify this in case future candidates see this post.

Reactions: Hazal

Harvey

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2018
    Can you confirm what grad rec said about finding it very important you relate a story back to the firm? I find this strange because the question does not ask you to do this. I have also seen successful applications where students did not do this.

Not to say that you aren't telling the truth but I do want to clarify this in case future candidates see this post.

To clarify, I didn’t mean to explain how the “topic” is somehow related to the firms’ practice. But you should explain why the topic is relevant and why the firm should be interested.

E.g. being a poker player - good for negotiation, working under pressure etc.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    To clarify, I didn’t mean to explain how the “topic” is somehow related to the firms’ practice. But you should explain why the topic is relevant and why the firm should be interested.

E.g. being a poker player - good for negotiation, working under pressure etc.

Thanks for clarifying.

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    I think you could use this question to highlight your commercial awareness and interests. I once talked about Disney's growth in the Theme Parks Industry and talked about the firm's involvement in such projects. Make sure that you have a clear structure for this answer. Firms are looking to understand why you think that specific issue and is relevant to their practice and/or your interest in the commercial sector.

jsoobs

Nov 2, 2018
    A HSF partner who delivered an application workshop at my university a few weeks ago said that that question would be good to display your knowledge of the firm and its practice areas. However, at the Disputes Open Day this week, Grad Rec went through the application questions and for the 'introduce a topic' question said that this doesn't need to be at all commercial or related to the firm as the question's purpose is to test your writing/analysis skills. Confused by the conflicting advice, I approached Grad Rec after their presentation explaining what I had been told previously and was told that the point at which the partner gave the mentioned workshop they somehow had not agreed on what they were looking for with that question. Long story short, write about something that genuinely interests you and don't write what you think they want to hear!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A HSF partner who delivered an application workshop at my university a few weeks ago said that that question would be good to display your knowledge of the firm and its practice areas. However, at the Disputes Open Day this week, Grad Rec went through the application questions and for the 'introduce a topic' question said that this doesn't need to be at all commercial or related to the firm as the question's purpose is to test your writing/analysis skills. Confused by the conflicting advice, I approached Grad Rec after their presentation explaining what I had been told previously and was told that the point at which the partner gave the mentioned workshop they somehow had not agreed on what they were looking for with that question. Long story short, write about something that genuinely interests you and don't write what you think they want to hear!

Thanks for clearing that up.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.