'Tell us about you' questions

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

Sorry for making yet another thread in such a short period of time!

I've recently come across several questions that ask the candidate to tell the firm about their achievements, extracurriculars, and so on. However, quite a few of them are phrased in the following way:

"In 300 words, we are keen to hear more about you and the extra curricular activities you have been involved in." (this is for the CC Open Day)

My question is this: should I simply set out my extracurriculars, achievements, etc., or does the firm want to know about me me? So, for example, about my more personal extracurriculars (playing football once a week), or about my background ("I grew up in X and moved to Y when I was 14").

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for making yet another thread in such a short period of time!

I've recently come across several questions that ask the candidate to tell the firm about their achievements, extracurriculars, and so on. However, quite a few of them are phrased in the following way:

"In 300 words, we are keen to hear more about you and the extra curricular activities you have been involved in." (this is for the CC Open Day)

My question is this: should I simply set out my extracurriculars, achievements, etc., or does the firm want to know about me me? So, for example, about my more personal extracurriculars (playing football once a week), or about my background ("I grew up in X and moved to Y when I was 14").

Personal extra-curricular activities are good -- they give the firm an opportunity to learn more about you and your personality. I don't imagine the question is getting at your background in that sense.

Quite often when students write about their extra-curricular activities, they focus on what their team did rather than what they did within a team. I suspect one of the reasons behind the emphasis is also to remind students to talk about themselves.

Reactions: Salma and GGLove

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    How would people go about answering: tell us about you, both good and bad??

It’s the later part which is slightly of putting.

Is it getting at strengths and weaknesses or still activities.

Kazam

Star Member
    Early Bird
    Aug 13, 2018
    How would people go about answering: tell us about you, both good and bad??

It’s the later part which is slightly of putting.

Is it getting at strengths and weaknesses or still activities.

I would think it's weaknesses yeah. But you wanna consider things that you can spin as a good/don't make you seem really bad.

Is this a real interview question? it's horrendous

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.