The best SJT advice on the forum

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hey guys. I just compiled all the stuff that I found useful on SJTs on the forum. Mostly everyone is confused regarding how to approach these tests so, here it goes.

SJT ADVICE

Q1- Let's say if we are working on the same project and the other trainee needs help but I am busy as well, is offer help or find our supervisor to sort out for us the better answer?

Q2. Very often there are questions about multitasking. Should we take up the task in any event or inform the partner about the deadline you got? On the other hand, is there a preference over helping your trainees first or taking a new task from the partner?

Q3. Does our personal interest matter? Questions sometimes emphasize the task is not something you are interested in. I usually answer that I will still take it but I have no idea whether this is right or not.

Ans - 1

Hi, I've also been doing okay with SJTs so far so I might also give some thoughts. Just FYI I have no idea if these are the 'correct' responses but they are the ones I tend to pick.

1. I usually would go to the supervisor especially if you're also quite busy because you might risk compromising the quality of your own work. Your supervisor will have a better idea of everyone's workload so they might know some other trainees who have less work and are in a better position to help out.

2. For multitasking I usually try to show enthusiasm towards the task even if its not possible for me to take it on. If its something that I'm really interested in I'll go to my supervisor and see if I can get some deadlines moved around or if it's really not possible I'll tell the partner no but tell them if any opportunities arise in the future I'd be interested.

3. I usually will take into account personal interest but also be open-minded to different experiences because as a trainee you'll be trying to decide which area you'd like to qualify in and it'll be easier for you to know where your interests lie if you have tried a variety of things.

Ans - 2

Hi there,

I offer my views below but I must caveat this by saying that I cannot be certain of my answers or thoughts here as unlike the WG you do not get scores for SJTs as you will know but here goes:

1. This is a tricky one and quite dependent on what you are exactly being asked and what the options are. Of course, teamwork is important, but you cannot sacrifice your own work. I think if the scenario makes this sound plausible, you could agree to just do a small part of the work or even refer the matter up to a supervisor but my thought on the latter is also that supervisors are very busy people so it is often best to resolve things where you can. I suppose in practice you would really try your best to help but you might also refer them to another trainee you know of who might have more capacity or something like that. Essentially, the question of this is very scenario dependent but just remember: teamwork is vital but you also have to manage your time so as to not negatively impact the work you already promised.

2. With multi-tasking, it is all about appraising your own workload, figuring out what you have to do, when the deadlines are and what time it will take. The key here is open and quick communication - partners won't be disgruntled if you are busy but they will be if you promise to do work and cannot manage or handle it. Therefore, honesty is the best policy - be quick to ask questions about the task and ascertain deadlines and then make a judgement call.

3. I think with this, law firms want to see you enthusiastic about all kinds of work, even that which is less interesting to you personally or which might be out of your comfort zone. If you are asked to do a task you have never done before or one you have done multiple times, a firm would probably want to see you taking the new task so as to broaden your skills and show enthusiasm for new work and a new opportunity.

This is based on my own intuition and knowledge of law firms and what is desirable for trainees. Remember, SJTs are quite personality based so take what I have said with a pinch of salt as it may be subconsciously quite tailored to me but these are just my thoughts! Again, maybe not the 'right' answers as such but just what I think.

Ans - 3

I'm very much aligned with Anna here. I think there's no way of knowing what the firm prefers, so the best approach would be to put yourself in the situation and imagine what you would genuinely do (taking into account your understanding of the role of a trainee).

1. As a trainee, I would never have just taken on work from another trainee. This would have to go through my supervisor first - it would put you in a bad situation if they thought you were working on one of their tasks, or didn't realise you had capacity, because you had taken on work of your own accord.

2. As @Alice G put very well, I'd always manage expectations and never just say 'yes'. It's really important to be upfront about your capacity, rather than trying to say yes to everything and completing a poor job. I'd prefer to work for a partner than take on work from a trainee, but it really depends on the situation.

3. It's fine to have a personal interest, but as a trainee, I'd be fine with taking on work I didn't necessarily enjoy. As Anna put very well, it can be equally useful to take on work to determine what you do enjoy (some things may be surprising!).

Ans - 4

You also have to look very carefully at the detail of the question posed. A response might be different if it says you have a day to complete the task vs if it says it is at the end of the day.

Where people tend to go wrong though:

- not thinking about what’s the most efficient way of doing something
- thinking they have to do everything themselves
- not thinking about managing expectations
- not thinking about risks
- not realising that they are probably the most junior person in the “situation” and that with that you aren’t expected to know everything
- assuming working harder for longer is the right response
- assuming the worst (eg thinking “it depends what my working relationship is like with my supervisors - just assume the best and think you have a good working relationship with your supervisor).

More on SJTs

You have to look at the detail of the scenario and analyse it carefully too though. Just an example:
If it says you have just joined the team, are you really going to have the full knowledge to do something completely independently vs if you have been in the team 6 months.

Things to think about when reviewing SJTs:

- what’s the most realistic outcome for success rather than the one that you think would make you look good

- what is best for everyone, not just you as an individual

- what is the most time and resource efficient way of doing something

- who is the priority in the scenario

- what are the risks (and how risk adverse is the organisation you are applying to)?

Unless you are told in the scenario, do not assume you have endless abilities and knowledge. Think about the practicalities of going into a role as a junior recruit who probably has little to no knowledge expected.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys. I just compiled all the stuff that I found useful on SJTs on the forum. Mostly everyone is confused regarding how to approach these tests so, here it goes.

SJT ADVICE

Q1- Let's say if we are working on the same project and the other trainee needs help but I am busy as well, is offer help or find our supervisor to sort out for us the better answer?

Q2. Very often there are questions about multitasking. Should we take up the task in any event or inform the partner about the deadline you got? On the other hand, is there a preference over helping your trainees first or taking a new task from the partner?

Q3. Does our personal interest matter? Questions sometimes emphasize the task is not something you are interested in. I usually answer that I will still take it but I have no idea whether this is right or not.

Ans - 1

Hi, I've also been doing okay with SJTs so far so I might also give some thoughts. Just FYI I have no idea if these are the 'correct' responses but they are the ones I tend to pick.

1. I usually would go to the supervisor especially if you're also quite busy because you might risk compromising the quality of your own work. Your supervisor will have a better idea of everyone's workload so they might know some other trainees who have less work and are in a better position to help out.

2. For multitasking I usually try to show enthusiasm towards the task even if its not possible for me to take it on. If its something that I'm really interested in I'll go to my supervisor and see if I can get some deadlines moved around or if it's really not possible I'll tell the partner no but tell them if any opportunities arise in the future I'd be interested.

3. I usually will take into account personal interest but also be open-minded to different experiences because as a trainee you'll be trying to decide which area you'd like to qualify in and it'll be easier for you to know where your interests lie if you have tried a variety of things.

Ans - 2

Hi there,

I offer my views below but I must caveat this by saying that I cannot be certain of my answers or thoughts here as unlike the WG you do not get scores for SJTs as you will know but here goes:

1. This is a tricky one and quite dependent on what you are exactly being asked and what the options are. Of course, teamwork is important, but you cannot sacrifice your own work. I think if the scenario makes this sound plausible, you could agree to just do a small part of the work or even refer the matter up to a supervisor but my thought on the latter is also that supervisors are very busy people so it is often best to resolve things where you can. I suppose in practice you would really try your best to help but you might also refer them to another trainee you know of who might have more capacity or something like that. Essentially, the question of this is very scenario dependent but just remember: teamwork is vital but you also have to manage your time so as to not negatively impact the work you already promised.

2. With multi-tasking, it is all about appraising your own workload, figuring out what you have to do, when the deadlines are and what time it will take. The key here is open and quick communication - partners won't be disgruntled if you are busy but they will be if you promise to do work and cannot manage or handle it. Therefore, honesty is the best policy - be quick to ask questions about the task and ascertain deadlines and then make a judgement call.

3. I think with this, law firms want to see you enthusiastic about all kinds of work, even that which is less interesting to you personally or which might be out of your comfort zone. If you are asked to do a task you have never done before or one you have done multiple times, a firm would probably want to see you taking the new task so as to broaden your skills and show enthusiasm for new work and a new opportunity.

This is based on my own intuition and knowledge of law firms and what is desirable for trainees. Remember, SJTs are quite personality based so take what I have said with a pinch of salt as it may be subconsciously quite tailored to me but these are just my thoughts! Again, maybe not the 'right' answers as such but just what I think.

Ans - 3

I'm very much aligned with Anna here. I think there's no way of knowing what the firm prefers, so the best approach would be to put yourself in the situation and imagine what you would genuinely do (taking into account your understanding of the role of a trainee).

1. As a trainee, I would never have just taken on work from another trainee. This would have to go through my supervisor first - it would put you in a bad situation if they thought you were working on one of their tasks, or didn't realise you had capacity, because you had taken on work of your own accord.

2. As @Alice G put very well, I'd always manage expectations and never just say 'yes'. It's really important to be upfront about your capacity, rather than trying to say yes to everything and completing a poor job. I'd prefer to work for a partner than take on work from a trainee, but it really depends on the situation.

3. It's fine to have a personal interest, but as a trainee, I'd be fine with taking on work I didn't necessarily enjoy. As Anna put very well, it can be equally useful to take on work to determine what you do enjoy (some things may be surprising!).

Ans - 4

You also have to look very carefully at the detail of the question posed. A response might be different if it says you have a day to complete the task vs if it says it is at the end of the day.

Where people tend to go wrong though:

- not thinking about what’s the most efficient way of doing something
    - thinking they have to do everything themselves
    - not thinking about managing expectations
    - not thinking about risks
    - not realising that they are probably the most junior person in the “situation” and that with that you aren’t expected to know everything
    - assuming working harder for longer is the right response
    - assuming the worst (eg thinking “it depends what my working relationship is like with my supervisors - just assume the best and think you have a good working relationship with your supervisor).

More on SJTs

You have to look at the detail of the scenario and analyse it carefully too though. Just an example:
    If it says you have just joined the team, are you really going to have the full knowledge to do something completely independently vs if you have been in the team 6 months.

Things to think about when reviewing SJTs:

- what’s the most realistic outcome for success rather than the one that you think would make you look good

- what is best for everyone, not just you as an individual

- what is the most time and resource efficient way of doing something

- who is the priority in the scenario

- what are the risks (and how risk adverse is the organisation you are applying to)?

Unless you are told in the scenario, do not assume you have endless abilities and knowledge. Think about the practicalities of going into a role as a junior recruit who probably has little to no knowledge expected.

Excellent idea @futuretraineesolicitor. Collecting advice like this is very useful.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.