Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Interested to read that the person who kickstarted this through his GameStop analysis is currently facing a lawsuit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56106824.

"A man who became a key player in frenzied trading of GameStop shares last month has been hit with a class action lawsuit.

Keith Gill, known as 'Roaring Kitty' on YouTube, allegedly duped retail investors into buying inflated stocks while hiding his sophisticated financial background.

Mr Gill has downplayed his impact and rebutted claims he violated any laws.
    Separately, he will testify on Thursday to Congress about the "Reddit rally".
    "The idea that I used social media to promote GameStop stock to unwitting investors is preposterous," Mr Gill said in the prepared testimony.
    "I was abundantly clear that my channel was for educational purposes only, and that my aggressive style of investing was unlikely to be suitable for most folks checking out the channel."

michhch

Jan 30, 2021
    Would you guys say that the GameStop incident is an isolated incident or do you think it has the potential to affect general market behaviour in a positive way (i.e. more scrutiny on corporate social responsibility)? I am very interested in this story and would love to talk about this in my upcoming interview - but I am not sure how to analyse it and link it back to law firm!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would you guys say that the GameStop incident is an isolated incident or do you think it has the potential to affect general market behaviour in a positive way (i.e. more scrutiny on corporate social responsibility)? I am very interested in this story and would love to talk about this in my upcoming interview - but I am not sure how to analyse it and link it back to law firm!
    I don't think it's an isolated incident, I think we'll just see it play out in different forms.

In the future, companies like Robinhood, Trading212, Coinbase, etc. will continue to reduce the barrier to entry for investing in securities. As online communities (through social media or otherwise) continue to grow, everyday investors will be able to have a larger influence on a company's share price. It's therefore something that companies and investors will have to factor into their strategies.

Reputation also becomes exceptionally important. It is now exceptionally easy to share positive or negative news about a company online and for it to spread very quickly. I'm sure that will only continue.

Reactions: michhch and Daniel Boden

michhch

Jan 30, 2021
    Thank you Jaysen! Always appreciate your valuable insight!
    I don't think it's an isolated incident, I think we'll just see it play out in different forms.

In the future, companies like Robinhood, Trading212, Coinbase, etc. will continue to reduce the barrier to entry for investing in securities. As online communities (through social media or otherwise) continue to grow, everyday investors will be able to have a larger influence on a company's share price. It's therefore something that companies and investors will have to factor into their strategies.

Reputation also becomes exceptionally important. It is now exceptionally easy to share positive or negative news about a company online and for it to spread very quickly. I'm sure that will only continue.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.