Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'll use this thread for for links/stories relevant to the Middle East. Please feel free to post in this thread also.

For those that can access to FT:

Saudi prince’s flagship plan beset by doubts after Khashoggi death - https://www.ft.com/content/c24ab1d4-f8a7-11e8-8b7c-6fa24bd5409c

For those without access, I'll summarise this when I have a moment.

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018
    You may also want to have a look at 'The Middle East Eye'. It's a website based in London which covers the latest news concerning Middle East. I found it very interesting as you can click on an hashtag (for instance, #Khashoggi), and it lists all news and essays related to it.

Here's the link: https://www.middleeasteye.net :)

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Senators vote to end US backing for Saudi war on Yemen

"The US Senate has voted to withdraw US military aid for Saudi Arabia's war on Yemen and to blame the kingdom's crown prince for the murder of a journalist.

The historic vote is the first time any chamber of US Congress has agreed to pull US forces from a military conflict under the 1973 War Powers Act.

Some of President Donald Trump's fellow Republicans defied him to pass the measure with Democrats by 56-41."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46561520

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    This Wall Street Journal article describes how apparently when the Tawadul (the Saudi stock exchange) has experienced a particularly bad day of trading (mostly during political crises) the government pumps billions into money market managers funds who do not have an obligation to disclose who their clients are. These managers then buy up the fallen stocks in the hours before the market closes to try and disguise any market downturn for that day. This is in order to bolster the impression that the Tawadul is a safe choice for foreign investors to trade in - one of the pillars of MSB's modernisation of Saudi Arabia and the movement away from oil dependency.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-...hoggi-murder-11544727772?ns=prod/accounts-wsj

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Zahra

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 9, 2018
    Hello everyone!

I had my interview with CC in the Middle East recently and these are the following trends that came up in the interview:
    (1) the blockade on Qatar;
    (2) the US sanctions against Iran; and
    (3) Saudi's Vision 2030.

I would recommend reading about them in depth and forming an intelligent opinion on the impact the aforementioned have on law firms and their clients.

All the best!

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Kelvin, CF and Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello everyone!

I had my interview with CC in the Middle East recently and these are the following trends that came up in the interview:
    (1) the impact of the blockade on Qatar;
    (2) the US sanctions against Iran; and
    (3) Saudi's Vision 2030.

I would recommend reading about them in depth and forming an intelligent opinion on the impact the aforementioned have on law firms and their clients.

All the best!
    Very useful thanks Zahra!

Reactions: Zahra

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.