Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

It's an exciting day for us today because it's our two-week anniversary since we launched the website. (I know two weeks isn't something people normally celebrate but it feels like our first milestone!).

We also had an idea.

Rather than having sneaky updates that no-one knows about, we thought it would be a good idea to keep you guys updated on exactly what we're doing at the moment. So we'll be posting our updates on this page once or twice a week. Oh, and if there's anything you like or don't like anything please feel free to comment here or in our suggestions thread.

Thank-yous

I have a couple of thank-yous to give out first. A few of you have messaged me recently because you've received training contract offers. I won't tag you as I'm not sure if you want it to be public news but you know who you are. It's always a pleasure to hear when you do, so thank you - it makes my day to hear news like that! Please stick around too! In the near future, we'll be building resources for future trainees.

On that note, thank you to all our future trainees @Amy Hillier and current trainees @Nicole Shroff @Rayhaan V for taking the time to give out advice and answer questions. I know you all have busy schedules, which is why it has been so pleasing to see your thoughtful and detailed answers.

Now, onto the page:

What we're working on:
    • Updating the law firm insights page. These are still being worked on so apologies for the clunky wording. Next on the list is Shearman & Sterling - thanks to @Denisa Olaru for the suggestion.
    • Application reviews and mock interviews: I have been impressed with the applications I've seen over the last week, there are some very diverse candidates here!
    • Getting funding/expanding! We're currently talking to an organisation that shares a similar mission (hence why I'm up at this time working on a business summary ;)).
    Short-term coming soon:
    • We have a few more lawyers who will be joining us soon to answer questions. One of them is an associate from Cooley. He works in the emerging companies practice group and directly advises founders and investors of start-ups and tech companies, from formation to exit (@Jonty - this seems right up your street!).
    • A new guide to law firms where we break down how they function as a business, how they make money and how lawyers manage risk (thanks @GD1995 for the suggestion!).
    Medium to long-term:
    • I'll keep that a surprise for now but lots of exciting stuff!

Best,

J

Reactions: Deleted member 21

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The profile of Shearman is done! We're now working on a short guide to explain how a law firm operates as a business - thanks to @GD1995 for the suggestion.

Reactions: Sandrou

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Currently working on the next commercial awareness briefing (will aim to send it out today). It's an update to the 'how do companies raise money' post I made a while back.

Part 1 will introduce the subject and break down equity v debt.
    Part 2 will talk about why that's relevant to law firms.

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    Currently working on the next commercial awareness briefing (will aim to send it out today). It's an update to the 'how do companies raise money' post I made a while back.

Part 1 will introduce the subject and break down equity v debt.
    Part 2 will talk about why that's relevant to law firms.

It has been sent round :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.