Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks for sharing Sharaf. I think the ability to self-reflect is a huge skill in this process and that's clearly something you have. Looking forward to seeing how your journey progresses!

Reactions: Shaz

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Congratulations Sharaf! Will be looking forward to hearing about your TC journey and seeing the great things you’ll achieve :)

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Hi Sharaf! Thanks for sharing.
    You have plenty of valuable legal experience already, I am sure we will soon hear from you with good news re TC applications! :)

Just one more thing I'd want to address: you mentioned that you are looking for paralegal job, but "realistically" more for legal assistant role.
    While this is true that some employers will require LPC for paralegal roles, this is not necessarily a universal rule. As an example, I haven't done LPC (yet) due to financial reasons (really don't have that kind of money!) but managed to find a good in-house role in the City two weeks before graduation. When I was moving on to another job a few months ago, I was rather flooded with offers and that was despite the fact that I *still* don't have LPC under my belt.
    So, do not get discouraged and apply for paralegal roles, there is plenty of them for fresh grads!
    Good luck! :)

PS I envy your WG scores.. This is one hell of a beast I still cannot tame.

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    Hi Sharaf! Thanks for sharing.
    You have plenty of valuable legal experience already, I am sure we will soon hear from you with good news re TC applications! :)

Just one more thing I'd want to address: you mentioned that you are looking for paralegal job, but "realistically" more for legal assistant role.
    While this is true that some employers will require LPC for paralegal roles, this is not necessarily a universal rule. As an example, I haven't done LPC (yet) due to financial reasons (really don't have that kind of money!) but managed to find a good in-house role in the City two weeks before graduation. When I was moving on to another job a few months ago, I was rather flooded with offers and that was despite the fact that I *still* don't have LPC under my belt.
    So, do not get discouraged and apply for paralegal roles, there is plenty of them for fresh grads!

PS I envy your WG scores.. This is one hell of a beast I still cannot tame.
    Hi Dominika! Thank you for your message, I am also in a position where the LPC is not financially viable for me.

Congratulations for finding a paralegal position before you even graduated! Your message has given me faith that perhaps recruiters won't be so stringent on those measures. May I ask how you went about finding and applying for paralegal positions? Was it through an agency or did you look yourself? At the moment, I find it difficult to balance applying for a paralegal position and my vac scheme/training contract preparations and applications. Again, thank you for posting and hope you stick around for the journey!

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    Hi Dominika! Thank you for your message, I am also in a position where the LPC is not financially viable for me.

Congratulations for finding a paralegal position before you even graduated! Your message has given me faith that perhaps recruiters won't be so stringent on those measures. May I ask how you went about finding and applying for paralegal positions? Was it through an agency or did you look yourself? At the moment, I find it difficult to balance applying for a paralegal position and my vac scheme/training contract preparations and applications. Again, thank you for posting and hope you stick around for the journey!

For my first paralegal role, I started the search just after I finished my exams, which I think gave me a slight advantage. Admittedly, I did not make any TC applications that early summer, because it was essential for me to find a job.

I was looking for a job by myself, mostly by setting up alerts for jobs posted on LinkedIn, TotalJobs, etc. For many paralegal positions all you need is a well-crafted resume and (sometimes, but not often) a short cover letter so whenever I found something interesting, I would apply straightaway.
    Another thing that I found extremely helpful was making my CV to look distinct - I invested £4 in a nicely looking (but still professional!) CV template on etsy. That was when I started receiving responses to almost every application I made because, by admission of many recruiters, my resume was eye-catching.

In the end it took me three weeks to find a paralegal position and I was lucky enough to actually secure three different offers from which I could choose what suited me best. Anecdotally, my chosen role was with a company that required LPC in the job description, yet I got it anyway :)

It was different when I was looking for a new job nearly a year later - I decided to use agencies at that time, mostly because I was preoccupied with work and TC applications so it was easier to delegate this task to a number of agencies (a word of warning: while there are some recruiters who will definitely go above and beyond to help you and will stay in touch with you, sadly I also met some that could not care less on updating me on the process, or failed to send my resume somewhere, or - my absolutely favourite - forwarded my CV to one firm without my prior approval, allegedly by an unfortunate error, which in turn put me in a very uncomfortable situation).

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    For my first paralegal role, I started the search just after I finished my exams, which I think gave me a slight advantage. Admittedly, I did not make any TC applications that early summer, because it was essential for me to find a job.

I was looking for a job by myself, mostly by setting up alerts for jobs posted on LinkedIn, TotalJobs, etc. For many paralegal positions all you need is a well-crafted resume and (sometimes, but not often) a short cover letter so whenever I found something interesting, I would apply straightaway.
    Another thing that I found extremely helpful was making my CV to look distinct - I invested £4 in a nicely looking (but still professional!) CV template on etsy. That was when I started receiving responses to almost every application I made because, by admission of many recruiters, my resume was eye-catching.

In the end it took me three weeks to find a paralegal position and I was lucky enough to actually secure three different offers from which I could choose what suited me best. Anecdotally, my chosen role was with a company that required LPC in the job description, yet I got it anyway :)

It was different when I was looking for a new job nearly a year later - I decided to use agencies at that time, mostly because I was preoccupied with work and TC applications so it was easier to delegate this task to a number of agencies (a word of warning: while there are some recruiters who will definitely go above and beyond to help you and will stay in touch with you, sadly I also met some that could not care less on updating me on the process, or failed to send my resume somewhere, or - my absolutely favourite - forwarded my CV to one firm without my prior approval, allegedly by an unfortunate error, which in turn put me in a very uncomfortable situation).

It sounds like you had a really great strategy for applying and finding paralegal roles straight after university! I think I’ll probably invest some more time on finding a new CV template myself because mine is looking outdated which I guess didn’t really cross my mind.

Three different offers is also amazing so congratulations for achieving those! I think I’ll be more flexible with applying for roles that do have the LPC as a requirement because I’m confident I’ve built up the key skills they are looking for. May I ask where you are based in the UK?

I’ll also take on board the advice regarding agencies. I did call one up a few weeks ago and sent a CV to go along with it but with no reply. Maybe I should go chasing or look elsewhere.

Thank you again for all of your advice!

Reactions: D95

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    It sounds like you had a really great strategy for applying and finding paralegal roles straight after university! I think I’ll probably invest some more time on finding a new CV template myself because mine is looking outdated which I guess didn’t really cross my mind.

Three different offers is also amazing so congratulations for achieving those! I think I’ll be more flexible with applying for roles that do have the LPC as a requirement because I’m confident I’ve built up the key skills they are looking for. May I ask where you are based in the UK?

I’ll also take on board the advice regarding agencies. I did call one up a few weeks ago and sent a CV to go along with it but with no reply. Maybe I should go chasing or look elsewhere.

Thank you again for all of your advice!

I am based in London and went to uni (non-RG, if that matters) here as well. I work in the City right now :) The upside of living in London is that there is plenty of roles available at all times - of course, the competition is fierce, but it is still possible to find something rather quickly.

Sorry to hear about your initial experience with the agencies - as I said, they are a tough crowd! Most of the time you have to be prepared to initiate contact with them and follow up on previous messages. Good recruiters would update you without chasing them, but I'd say that more than a half of the ones that I contacted were extremely hard to engage with. Another piece of advice would be if you find a specific recruiter in a given agency then try to have contact only with them as opposed to multiple people from the same agency. I am still in touch with about three recruiters who send me emails from time to time and even though I am not looking for a job right now, I keep them updated on my status.

I hope that all will work fine for you, let us know once you secure your next job (which I know will be imminent!)

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    Second Post

Hi everyone,

I thought I would give an update with how the TC journey is going. From last time, I have managed to secure a job as a legal administration assistant with an ALSP who are using technology to help streamline the residential conveyancing process. I applied through LinkedIn so thank you @Dominika_95 ! Your advice was really helpful and I am grateful for your comments too.

In regards to VS/TC progress, I have an interview with Jones Day coming up (winter vac scheme) - this was quite a shock because it was the first application I had made to any firm. It goes to show how useful TCLA's resources are because I used the application advice and the forum when writing out each of my answers. I was rejected by HSF but was informed that I had passed their benchmark on the WG test. My application is still on hold with Linklaters and after contacting them, I found out that my candidate percentile was at the 53%! My next steps will be to improve this score and thankfully the report highlights your weaknesses. In the coming weeks, I will be applying to a few more firms (Shearman's) but I may have to be more picky now that I am occupied with work.

I'll be attending the Crash Course next Saturday having finished the 'Introduction to the City' course on TCLA and really look forward to progressing on to the other courses!

We will see how the next month goes!

Sharaf

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Second Post

Hi everyone,

I thought I would give an update with how the TC journey is going. From last time, I have managed to secure a job as a legal administration assistant with an ALSP who are using technology to help streamline the residential conveyancing process. I applied through LinkedIn so thank you @Dominika_95 ! Your advice was really helpful and I am grateful for your comments too.

In regards to VS/TC progress, I have an interview with Jones Day coming up (winter vac scheme) - this was quite a shock because it was the first application I had made to any firm. It goes to show how useful TCLA's resources are because I used the application advice and the forum when writing out each of my answers. I was rejected by HSF but was informed that I had passed their benchmark on the WG test. My application is still on hold with Linklaters and after contacting them, I found out that my candidate percentile was at the 53%! My next steps will be to improve this score and thankfully the report highlights your weaknesses. In the coming weeks, I will be applying to a few more firms (Shearman's) but I may have to be more picky now that I am occupied with work.

I'll be attending the Crash Course next Saturday having finished the 'Introduction to the City' course on TCLA and really look forward to progressing on to the other courses!

Sharaf
    Amazing, keep it up Sharaf!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Second Post

Hi everyone,

Sharaf
    Really excited to meet you Saturday and please reach out when you choose to make your Shearman app- I will try to help you as best as possible :) also very best of luck for Jones Day :)

Plum

Star Member
    Oct 30, 2019
    Second Post

Hi everyone,

Sharaf

Crazy, I just found out I was at the 53% for LL too...!

Shaz

Distinguished Member
    Sep 29, 2019
    Third Post

So I am updating this thread a little early but I got the Jones Day Spring scheme! This will be my first commercial law vacation scheme so I'm excited to apply what I've learnt in practice on the vac scheme. This has given me such a boost of confidence and I can not thank TCLA enough for everything they've done for me. They reviewed my application and I also had a mock interview with Jaysen which was so helpful in talking through questions that I was unsure about. I am really grateful for all the help and support I've received from everyone in the forums too. I am now going to be focusing on applications for Summer schemes so that I can keep myself disciplined and focused.

I left my previous job but was offered a position where I will have more responsibility and develop my skills further. As for other applications, I was rejected by Linklaters but wasn't too shocked. I have applied to Shearman's and Reed Smith's but annoyingly spotted minor errors in my work experience sections after reviewing them. Moving forward, I am going to review every detail of my applications so that they are error-free. Still, I am feeling more motivated and happier than I have done at any other point in these last three years.

I hope this gives some people hope in the application process, if I could offer any advice, I would say be true to yourself and don't be afraid to talk about the deeper issues in your application or at interview. I think they appreciate the fact that you don't shy away from topics of a sensitive nature. As well, just keep going because it shows that determination does pay off as long as you remember from your mistakes and continually seek to improve :)

Sharaf

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Third Post

So I am updating this thread a little early but I got the Jones Day Spring scheme! This will be my first commercial law vacation scheme so I'm excited to apply what I've learnt in practice on the vac scheme. This has given me such a boost of confidence and I can not thank TCLA enough for everything they've done for me. They reviewed my application and I also had a mock interview with Jaysen which was so helpful in talking through questions that I was unsure about. I am really grateful for all the help and support I've received from everyone in the forums too. I am now going to be focusing on applications for Summer schemes so that I can keep myself disciplined and focused.

I left my previous job but was offered a position where I will have more responsibility and develop my skills further. As for other applications, I was rejected by Linklaters but wasn't too shocked. I have applied to Shearman's and Reed Smith's but annoyingly spotted minor errors in my work experience sections after reviewing them. Moving forward, I am going to review every detail of my applications so that they are error-free. Still, I am feeling more motivated and happier than I have done at any other point in these last three years.

I hope this gives some people hope in the application process, if I could offer any advice, I would say be true to yourself and don't be afraid to talk about the deeper issues in your application or at interview. I think they appreciate the fact that you don't shy away from topics of a sensitive nature. As well, just keep going because it shows that determination does pay off as long as you remember from your mistakes and continually seek to improve :)

Sharaf
    Well done and thanks for the motivational post. Good luck !

• 🤝

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    Third Post

Sharaf

Congratulations Sharaf!! Fantastic news and very well deserved!!

best of luck with the Jones Day scheme

• 🤝

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.