TLT Question

coprentice

Feb 26, 2021
By having a sector approach, TLT is able to advise clients on the markets in which they operate as well as their own business needs. What recent work in one of our sectors have you found interesting and why?

Do they want a specific piece of work/deal they have done or their development and initiatives in the sector?

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
By having a sector approach, TLT is able to advise clients on the markets in which they operate as well as their own business needs. What recent work in one of our sectors have you found interesting and why?

Do they want a specific piece of work/deal they have done or their development and initiatives in the sector?
You are asking a good question and I will tag @Jessica Booker on this to see if she has an additional perspective.

My inclination would be that they would like to see some examples of work or deals in a certain sector and if I were approaching this question, I might choose two or three examples that closely relate to one another and are indicative of strong expertise in a specific sector. I am sure there are also other ways of approaching this question, however.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Hi! I'd say you could either do a mix of both or just focus on a specific piece of work/deal. Fleshing out developments and initiatives alone to make a convincing, or even directly related, answer would be difficult.

coprentice

Feb 26, 2021
You are asking a good question and I will tag @Jessica Booker on this to see if she has an additional perspective.

My inclination would be that they would like to see some examples of work or deals in a certain sector and if I were approaching this question, I might choose two or three examples that closely relate to one another and are indicative of strong expertise in a specific sector. I am sure there are also other ways of approaching this question, however.
Thank you very much! In regards to their own business needs - how would you suggest working that into my answer? Should I mention that it attracts clients as they are experts in a certain sector? or are they referring to their clients business needs?

Last edited:

coprentice

Feb 26, 2021
Hi! I'd say you could either do a mix of both or just focus on a specific piece of work/deal. Fleshing out developments and initiatives alone to make a convincing, or even directly related, answer would be difficult.
Hi, that makes sense - thank you so much! In regards to their own business needs - how would you suggest working that into my answer? Should I mention that it attracts clients as they are experts in a certain sector? Or are they referring to the clients business needs?

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi, that makes sense - thank you so much! In regards to their own business needs - how would you suggest working that into my answer? Should I mention that it attracts clients as they are experts in a certain sector? Or are they referring to the clients business needs?
They're talking about the clients' business needs in my view. I'd structure my answer this way- state recent work in sector ➡️ why you found it interesting (link back to own interests+experiences) ➡️ BONUS *only if word count permits and it's relevant to your answer* how their work met clients' business needs and why this stood out to you.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you very much! In regards to their own business needs - how would you suggest working that into my answer? Should I mention that it attracts clients as they are experts in a certain sector? or are they referring to their clients business needs?
Clients' business needs - their sector expertise means they know exactly how to advise clients on fulfilling their business needs within a specific sector due to their experience working with similar clients.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

Hi @coprentice,

Welcome to the forum. Please do feel free to ask questions like this as we are here to help. I am really happy to see that you have been doing this already. It is great to know that new members feel comfortable enough to post.

I think @James Carrabino and @AvniD have provided some great insights on this. 🙌

My thoughts are:

Q1. I largely agree with what has already been said on this. Drawing out example(s) of work/deal(s) in X sector is the approach I would take. Emphasising that you recognise TLT will provide insights on legal matters, as well as on general commercial matters (and explaining why this is important), is another element that I would try to introduce.

Q2. I agree with James on this one, I think that they are talking about client business needs.

I would say though, as Avni suggests, as a bonus it could be appropriate to talk about how this benefits TLT and its business interests. However, I would think this is probably going beyond what the question is asking. James and I recently discussed the dangers of going beyond what the question is asking for in this thread which might be helpful.

As always, do tag me, James or Avni if you would like any further guidance with this or anything else!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.