TLT's Direct TC AC has become a vacation scheme...? Anyone else in this boat?

astra3127

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
I am so confused, but grateful? I attended TLT's Direct TC AC a month ago and have been offered a 2-3 day "mini scheme" in the office in July as my final assessment, and I'm wondering if anyone else is in this boat...I know one other person on this forum is, but other than that I'm in the dark here. It's been such a crazy cycle. I applied for the vacation scheme in 2019, then was told I didn't get the VS, but was invited instead to attend direct TC AC in August 2020, then that got moved back to February 2021, and now I'm being asked to attend a mini scheme, which I have gathered is not the same as their regular VS that they are holding this year as well...? I guess they just want to see people in person now the pandemic restrictions are near their finish? But I have no idea what to expect because to my knowledge this has never happened before, there are no previous experiences to look at for guidance, and I don't know if there will be exercises or not. I'm just rolling with it and counting my blessings, because I know some others were not passed beyond this stage, and I know also that some people will struggle to take time off their jobs to attend. It's just odd is all!

• 🤝
Reactions: kr253
A

Anon08

I can't speak on TLT/this cycle in particular - however, I had a similar experience at Bird & Bird. I achieved a Summer vacation scheme with them for Summer 2020. Coronavirus hit and the scheme was turned into a 'mini scheme' similar to what you describe - 2-3 days of presentations and then a written exercise and a TC interview (all virtual). On the scheme there were all the direct TC applicants as well.

It is rare for firms to do this; however, I think the smaller headcount, mid-market firms have tended to do this in response to coronavirus. Whether or not you think it is a good thing/appropriate is another question! Irrespectively, don't worry, it isn't just you/this firm!

Reactions: astra3127

astra3127

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah, it's just a bit odd because we already did all of the exercises - the presentation, the interview, the group exercise, the watson glaser - on the direct TC Assessment Day, and now we have a mini scheme. So I suppose the Direct TC applicants on your scheme at Bird and Bird had to do the exercises a second time. I'm wondering whether we will have to do all the exercises again, or whether it's a check your personality test, who knows - just going to roll with it!

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Hey @astra3127 - I'm in exactly the same boat as you with this one, also totally perplexed when I heard back after the AC. Have you heard anything from them since that initial call? I'm wondering if the dates have been confirmed or if there's any more info at all..!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.