Training at non MC/SC career implications.

ASyougerrit

Sep 22, 2021
Hi

I hold a training contract at Eversheds Sutherland, which I’ve accepted. I also had a TC from Dentons but chose the former. Both firms are good at mid market corporate work which I’m interested in, as well as excelling in other pockets of law like real estate etc.

Now just to preface, I know that a TC is great to have and I’m in a very fortunate position.

But I’m terms of career advancement, how are the prospects when it comes to 1) lateralling to a MC firm or US firm (or even a silver circle firm like HSF) and 2) general moving to clients in house (reputable big ones.)

Is this TC worth less compared to MC firms etc? I had a insight scheme at Linklaters so I feel like it’s a step down. I also know that getting a TC itself is hard, and I should be happy to have received something in this current market.

Any insight would be appreciated.

And I know how people will say stuff like “I know people who trained at Eversheds and now work at Davis Polk or Freshfields” but my question is, is this anecdotal/rare/bordering impossability?

any help would be appreciated.

PS: Checked other threads on TC:A and the likes of TSR, the vast majority was concerned with moving from MC firms to US firms- which is slightly relevant but still off from SC/Non SC movement to more lucrative frms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
LinkedIn is your best bet here. Use the search function to find associates who have moved from ES to the type of firms you are aiming for.

This will give you an indication of what practice areas and how much PQE you are likely to need to make the move, and how many people make the move too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.