Training Contract Visa

Letimtam

Jun 13, 2023
Hi guys,

I’m an international student applying for training contracts. I understand that I need to do the SQE prior to my actual training contract. I’m currently doing an LLM at UCL and previously completed the BPTC.

What visa would I be under if I secure a TC and am sponsored by the firm for the SQE? Would it be skilled worker or student?

If it is student, would I be able to get a student visa to study for the SQE? My concern is that I would be doing a third masters level course, and with the UKVI’s academic progression requirements.

I would really appreciate any help in this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I’m an international student applying for training contracts. I understand that I need to do the SQE prior to my actual training contract. I’m currently doing an LLM at UCL and previously completed the BPTC.

What visa would I be under if I secure a TC and am sponsored by the firm for the SQE? Would it be skilled worker or student?

If it is student, would I be able to get a student visa to study for the SQE? My concern is that I would be doing a third masters level course, and with the UKVI’s academic progression requirements.

I would really appreciate any help in this.
For your SQE prep course, it will be a student visa.

A skilled persons visa would only be possible once you are in employment, and you aren’t employed if you are studying the SQE before your training contract.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.