transferring university after first year

Freshcutgrass

May 8, 2023
When I started my law degree I was studying at a good RG law school however I didn’t enjoy the culture of the university so I moved at the end of first year to a different RG university in Scotland which has a four year law course. I was wondering whether the fact that I moved law schools will disadvantage me in applying to law firms as my first year grades will be from a different university.

For reference my grades in first year were a 64% average with a 2:1 in all modules.

My second year average is about the same however is got a 59% in land law with mitigating circumstances.

I’m predicted to get a first at the end of third year and I hope to get a first at the end of my fourth year too.

Will my 2:2 in one module in tandem with the fact that I moved university part way through my degree disadvantage me in applying to MC/US law firms.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When I started my law degree I was studying at a good RG law school however I didn’t enjoy the culture of the university so I moved at the end of first year to a different RG university in Scotland which has a four year law course. I was wondering whether the fact that I moved law schools will disadvantage me in applying to law firms as my first year grades will be from a different university.

For reference my grades in first year were a 64% average with a 2:1 in all modules.

My second year average is about the same however is got a 59% in land law with mitigating circumstances.

I’m predicted to get a first at the end of third year and I hope to get a first at the end of my fourth year too.

Will my 2:2 in one module in tandem with the fact that I moved university part way through my degree disadvantage me in applying to MC/US law firms.
Moving university will not disadvantage you. You will need to most likely explain the move, especially if you were moving out of English law (most likely given a Scottish uni) - well assuming you are applying to English based VS/TCs anyway. I would tackle that in applications and prepare to be asked about it in interview.

The one 2.2 is not going to be an issue especially given its very marginal and there are mitigating circumstances.

Freshcutgrass

May 8, 2023
Moving university will not disadvantage you. You will need to most likely explain the move, especially if you were moving out of English law (most likely given a Scottish uni) - well assuming you are applying to English based VS/TCs anyway. I would tackle that in applications and prepare to be asked about it in interview.

The one 2.2 is not going to be an issue especially given its very marginal and there are mitigating circumstances.
I actually still study common law as the uni I moved to offers common law. I moved to a similar ranking RG university and I'm not sure how I would address this. I really struggled with my mental health in the first university I went to and didn't enjoy the culture or environment, I found that the University was also in a very small city and growing up in a big city this transition didn't suit me so the Uni I moved to was in a bigger city. I wouldn't want to ever insult an entire institution in my law firm application, especially because I know a lot of students from this university go on to work at MC/US law firms.

If I was going to address this I think I would most likely say that I realised that living in a big city was important to me and an environment I feel as though I thrive in. I'd then maybe perhaps link this to why I want to work at a London headquartered firm because I enjoy living in big cities. I don't know if this would be sufficient. I think it's honest without being rude.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It isn’t a problem moving universities - many people do it each year, so I don’t think you need an explanation as such. If you just felt you were better suited to a different environment, that is fine to say that.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.