Travers Smith Interview

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys,

I have an upcoming Travers Smith interview, for the vacation scheme. I've done some research and from what I can gather, the firm asks mainly ethical/moral questions to see how you debate/argue/think on your feet. For example, in the past they've asked:

How would you defend Trump?
Would you employ a pregnant woman?
If you could introduce one bill into Parliament, what would it be?
SHould bonuses for bankers be abolished?
Should we ban cigarette advertising?

I feel like it's extremely difficult to prep for this - how would you go about answering these in an interview?

Thanks guys!

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Keep it simple, don’t try to be smart for the sake of it.

When I had my interview last year, I didn’t prep for these questions because I wanted my answers to be genuine (and most times, I wanted my answers to be the first thing that came to my head).

I also remember I only got one of these moral questions ie which bill would you introduce if you were a member of the parliament? I then got another situational question that related to representing an untruthful client or telling the other party the truth and potentially losing my client.

The rest of my interview was just chit chat and very much conversational, which I really really enjoyed.

My top tip is to try and connect with your interviewer. Smile and build rapport with them, be likeable essentially.

Assuming it has not changed, the interview is only 30 mins and you only have about 15/20 minutes to bring the interviewer on your side. Relax, keep it simple, smile, and finally, be likeable.

Best of luck!

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Keep it simple, don’t try to be smart for the sake of it.

When I had my interview last year, I didn’t prep for these questions because I wanted my answers to be genuine (and most times, I wanted my answers to be the first thing that came to my head).

I also remember I only got one of these moral questions ie which bill would you introduce if you were a member of the parliament? I then got another situational question that related to representing an untruthful client or telling the other party the truth and potentially losing my client.

The rest of my interview was just chit chat and very much conversational, which I really really enjoyed.

My top tip is to try and connect with your interviewer. Smile and build rapport with them, be likeable essentially.

Assuming it has not changed, the interview is only 30 mins and you only have about 15/20 minutes to bring the interviewer on your side. Relax, keep it simple, smile, and finally, be likeable.

Best of luck!

Hi, thanks so much for this! How did you find the vac scheme?

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Hi, thanks so much for this! How did you find the vac scheme?

I’m not really sure, I think I might have expected a little too much from the vac scheme. First of all, I wasn’t offered a TC so I don’t want to be biased.

But, I would say I was 50% bored during the scheme. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get involved in any concrete ‘work’. This was something that most of us experienced on the scheme. We used to joke about it amongst ourselves (in a very harmless way) but thinking back now, I was really bored.

We were told to focus on our group assessments when we asked for work ( this was in my case and another 2/3 persons). Group assessments as in a negotiation competition and a dispute resolution competition/exercise kind of thing.

We also had a group exercise on the 1st day of the scheme. I don’t know how much this weighs towards your overall performance but I thought it was a bit weird to be explicitly assessed from the very first day.

Lastly, I really tried very hard to brush it off but from the 1st day, I didn’t think I was a good fit for the firm. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the firm, it was just my gut feeling and nothing more.

One more thing, during the first days, I felt super insecure because I was comparing myself to the other candidates. (Please don’t do this).

On the flip side, the firm itself is an amazing place to work. (Note that a firm’s work experience programme may be slightly unsatisfactory but the firm itself is great)

I could tell that the people there were happy to be there. There was a close knit relationship amongst the trainees and I admired that.

The dress down policy is also hugely advantageous! I wish more firms did this. People used to walk in with casual clothes and you could tell that it made them super comfortable.

I built relationships with a few trainees/associates and partners and I’m still in touch with them.

We were also spoiled during the vac scheme (not that anyone complained :)) lots of food and outings.

Travers is an amazing place to work, they are defo working hard to strenghen their practices and improve their competitive standing.

I don’t know what else to say, I’m more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Last edited:

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
I’m not really sure, I think I might have expected a little too much from the vac scheme. First of all, I wasn’t offered a TC so I don’t want to be biased.

But, I would say I was 50% bored during the scheme. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get involved in any concrete ‘work’. This was something that most of us experienced on the scheme. We used to joke about it amongst ourselves (in a very harmless way) but thinking back now, I was really bored.

We were told to focus on our group assessments when we asked for work ( this was in my case and another 2/3 persons). Group assessments as in a negotiation competition and a dispute resolution competition/exercise kind of thing.

We also had a group exercise on the 1st day of the scheme. I don’t know how much this weighs towards your overall performance but I thought it was a bit weird to be explicitly asssed from the very first day.

Lastly, I really tried very hard to brush it off but from the 1st day, I didn’t think I was a good fit for the firm. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the firm, it was just my gut feeling and nothing more.

One more thing, during the first days, I felt super insecure because I was comparing myself to the other candidates. (Please don’t do this).

On the flip side, the firm itself is an amazing place to work. (Note that a firm’s work experience programme may be slightly unsatisfactory but the firm itself is great)

I could tell that the people there were happy to be there. There was a close knit relationship amongst the trainees and I admired that.

The dress down policy is also hugely advantageous! I wish more firms did this. People used to walk in with casual clothes and you could tell that it made them super comfortable. There’s no need to wear a suit in the hot summer if you’re not meeting any clients.

I built relationships with a few trainees/associates and partners and I’m still in touch with them.

We were also spoiled during the vac scheme (not that anyone complained :)) lots of food and outings.

Travers is an amazing place to work, they are defo working hard to strenghen their practices and improve their competitive standing.

I don’t know what else to say, I’m more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Wow, thanks so much for the insight. It's really interesting hearing about your experience.

Just one last question - how would you suggest I prepare for the interview? It seems they can throw anything my way.

I don't know if you're still applying for TCs/Vac schemes, but if you need any help (I've done a few interviews at other firms), then I'd be more than happy to help :)

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

We also had a group exercise on the 1st day of the scheme. I don’t know how much this weighs towards your overall performance but I thought it was a bit weird to be explicitly asssed from the very first day.

The dress down policy is also hugely advantageous! I wish more firms did this. People used to walk in with casual clothes and you could tell that it made them super comfortable. There’s no need to wear a suit in the hot summer if you’re not meeting any clients.

Thanks for sharing this, it's good to hear an honest account of the scheme.

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Wow, thanks so much for the insight. It's really interesting hearing about your experience.

Just one last question - how would you suggest I prepare for the interview? It seems they can throw anything my way.

I don't know if you're still applying for TCs/Vac schemes, but if you need any help (I've done a few interviews at other firms), then I'd be more than happy to help :)

Thanks!

IMO, you can’t really prepare for it, I remember the interview invitation email said ‘no preparation needed’ or something like that?

Tbh, before the interview, I prepped answers to why Law, why commercial law, why Travers, and I spent loads of time learning about the collapse of Carillion but the partner did not even ask me any of these questions.

I understand you want to prepare for the interview, but having done it last year, you just can’t honestly. It also depends on the partner you get because we all had different experiences with our interviewers.

Before I had my interview a future trainee told me to ‘be myself’. That was the only thing she said to me when I told her I had an upcoming interview with Travers.

And now I’m gonna tell you the same, be yourself.

Some of the questions I got were;

- How would your friends describe you? - the partner really challenged me on this.
    - if you could meet a famous person who would that be?- this was a follow-up question to something I had said during our chit chat
    - which other firms have you applied to? He then proceeded to ask me what interested me about a small Trainee intake because I said I wanted to be part of a small cohort

The other questions were specific to what I had written on my form.

Some of my friends on the vac scheme had very different experiences with different partners. One was grilled for 15 mins about one work experience, another was grilled for 10 mins about her grades.

So, how can you prepare? Maybe just understand how to argue effectively and stand your ground? Hahaha I know it doesn’t seem like much but it’s true.

Relax and enjoy the interview! When the partner asks you a difficult question or when he challenges your answer, smile and give a coherent response. Play their game too!

And thank you for your offer, I’m now done with apps :)

Reactions: Salma

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 20, 2018
    Also don’t be afraid to ask the partner the same question, be strategic about this one.

If you’re genuinely interested in the partner’s opinion about one of the moral questions, ask him/her! This was why my interview was conversational, I didn’t wait until the end to ask my questions, I remember I asked the partner, ‘what would you do if you were in my shoes?’

He looked a little surprised but he smiled and answered.

Reactions: Salma

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
    Sep 12, 2018
    Also don’t be afraid to ask the partner the same question, be strategic about this one.

If you’re genuinely interested in the partner’s opinion about one of the moral questions, ask him/her! This was why my interview was conversational, I didn’t wait until the end to ask my questions, I remember I asked the partner, ‘what would you do if you were in my shoes?’

He looked a little surprised but he smiled and answered.

Thanks for the help! Quite nervous for this, but I'll guess we will see on the day :)

haylaw

Star Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Hey guys,

I have an upcoming Travers Smith interview, for the vacation scheme. I've done some research and from what I can gather, the firm asks mainly ethical/moral questions to see how you debate/argue/think on your feet. For example, in the past they've asked:

How would you defend Trump?
    Would you employ a pregnant woman?
    If you could introduce one bill into Parliament, what would it be?
    SHould bonuses for bankers be abolished?
    Should we ban cigarette advertising?

I feel like it's extremely difficult to prep for this - how would you go about answering these in an interview?

Thanks guys!

Hi TheCustardPants!
    I've just secured an interview next week and was wondering how your interview ended up going and what questions you actually did get!? Was it what you expected? Was the process easy/organised/quick? Any advice and tips you can give will be really appreciated.

Thank you

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi TheCustardPants!
    I've just secured an interview next week and was wondering how your interview ended up going and what questions you actually did get!? Was it what you expected? Was the process easy/organised/quick? Any advice and tips you can give will be really appreciated.

Thank you
    When did you hear? Thanks

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    Hi TheCustardPants!

Thank you

When did you hear? Thanks

Yes seconded. Been radio silent from them since submitting in December, starting to question whether I actually applied!

Reactions: gigi23 and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.