Travers Smith Interview

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Hi All - I'm currently preparing for the Travers Smith interview.

I am trying to prepare a draft response if I'm asked about the challenges/threats facing Travers?

I was going to talk about how Covid has slowed down M&A activity and as Travers is quite big on this - how economic activity and Covid might determine the level of M&A activity.

Any thoughts will be appreciated :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I think you’re on the right track it terms of identifying practice areas that are going through challenges but I would be a bit cautious about saying Covid has slowed down M&A activity. While I think maybe this was true this time last year, this is definitely no longer the case. Just look at the spate of acquisitions LVMH have undertaken recently. Travers in particular are quite good at PE and PE M&A activity has been booming all throughout the pandemic.

Think @Jacob Miller might have more Travers specific advice.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I think you’re on the right track it terms of identifying practice areas that are going through challenges but I would be a bit cautious about saying Covid has slowed down M&A activity. While I think maybe this was true this time last year, this is definitely no longer the case. Just look at the spate of acquisitions LVMH have undertaken recently. Travers in particular are quite good at PE and PE M&A activity has been booming all throughout the pandemic.

Think @Jacob Miller might have more Travers specific advice.
    Thanks Dheepa!

Hi All - I'm currently preparing for the Travers Smith interview.

I am trying to prepare a draft response if I'm asked about the challenges/threats facing Travers?

I was going to talk about how Covid has slowed down M&A activity and as Travers is quite big on this - how economic activity and Covid might determine the level of M&A activity.

Any thoughts will be appreciated :)
    First off, congratulations on your interview.

I would be exceptionally careful about simply stating that Covid has caused a "slowdown in M&A" - in my opinion, this isn't the case, and the opposite is actually true in terms of certain types of M&A (PE M&A, distressed M&A, pre-packs etc), so I would only chase down this alleyway if you really have the facts and statistics to back it up.

As much as Travers are known for being a PE/ corporate firm, the disputes team is ever-growing and exceptionally good at what they do, too - don't limit yourself to only discussing corporate issues. Can you think of the opportunities and challenges that might exist for a firm in litigation/ dispute resolution space in the current circumstances, and the fallout from Covid in months and years to come?

Reactions: DMMW and Gunner07

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.