Travers Smith - Mitigation circumstances in Cover letter?

P. Dybala

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hey guys - I am planning to write my cover letter for Travers Smith, and I came across their website which states that you include your circumstances within the cover letter.

I am just perplexed as to how can I do this without breaking the flow of my cover letter?

P.S - Anybody with Travers Smith experience that can also guide me with their cover letter structure - Please PM me.

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
Aug 21, 2018
Hi P.Dybala,

I recently completed the Travers Smith Vacation Scheme and had a similar situation to you. I have spoken with Graduate Recruitment regarding mitigating circumstances. I think you should save your explanation for the "Contextual Information" Section of the application. Prioritise selling yourself in the cover letter. The main aim is demonstrate your interest in the firm and law, so focus on what you can offer as an future lawyer.

Regarding structure, I would stick to the standard format of cover letters. This would be:
  • Short introduction of who you are and what you're applying for
  • Why commercial law
  • Why Travers Smith
  • Why you: This tends to be your extra-circular activity (try to focus on an individual one, providing more detail of your responsibilities)
  • Short conclusion: For instance "Thank you for reading my application"
Hope this helps :)

P. Dybala

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hi P.Dybala,

I recently completed the Travers Smith Vacation Scheme and had a similar situation to you. I have spoken with Graduate Recruitment regarding mitigating circumstances. I think you should save your explanation for the "Contextual Information" Section of the application. Prioritise selling yourself in the cover letter. The main aim is demonstrate your interest in the firm and law, so focus on what you can offer as an future lawyer.

Regarding structure, I would stick to the standard format of cover letters. This would be:
  • Why commercial law
  • Why Travers Smith
  • Why you: This tends to be your extra-circular activity (try to focus on an individual one, providing more detail of your responsibilities)

This is brilliant. I will try to follow the structure you have very helpfully laid out.

Many thanks !!!

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi P.Dybala,

• Why commercial law
  • Why Travers Smith
Hey @KLaw125, thanks for providing this. I am aware that your comments were posted some time ago, but what do we put in the why me part of the CL, as there are already two questions about extra-curricular activities/interests (all that stuff)?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.