Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Travers Smith Summer Vacation Scheme 2019 - Anonymous

Travers Smith Interview Process:
    • I was interviewed by a Partner. Usually, the firm will let you know who is interviewing you.
    • There's no HR component like in other firms so you only have the one interviewer.
    • My interview largely consisted of moral questions.
    • Whilst the interview is largely moral questions, still, brush up on your competency and commercial awareness. Interviewers can literally ask anything.
    Travers Smith Interview Tips:
    • Have a read over your application and make sure you're able to answer any questions effectively about things you've stated.
    • The interview is very moral based where you're asked questions on things such as tax evasion/avoidance, whether you would lie for a client, etc.
    • Practice on constructing coherent arguments. If you believe in X, why? It sounds easier said than done but you want to ensure you're not just babbling but you're actually saying substance. See it as a debate and avoid trying to give a quick response Take a few seconds to think each time you're asked a question.
    • Make sure you brush up on 'Why commercial law', 'why the City' and 'why Travers Smith' - obviously ensure your answers are coherent and persuasive to these questions.
    • There's no right or wrong answer as to what you answer e.g. if you said you'd lie for a client, that's completely fine but they're looking at how you're delivering your argument. Make sure your argument is persuasive and succinct.
    • The Interviewers are nice but they will really push you e.g. I was asked what's the difference lying for a client in a negotiation. They're not questioning your morals but they're pushing to see how you keep your cool under pressure. As above, take a few seconds, breathe and construct an argument in your head. Avoid rushing and avoid trying to rapid-fire an answer.
    • If you feel like you're taking too long, remember the other interview tips e.g. take a sip of water or ask for a few seconds before you answer.
    • One item of feedback I was given was that I didn't understand what I was getting myself into (more or less) so really make sure you know what a lawyer does and what a lawyer at Travers does.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.