Trowers & Hamlins

SJamal

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
Hi All,

Hope you've had a great festive period.

Currently, I am preparing my application to T&H and I have found it very, very difficult to answer/ go about answering, the question below:

Who are our main competitors and specifically demonstrate how we differentiate from the firms you name.

I have decided to talk about two practices areas which T&H are known for and compare this to those at two similar firms (i.e where those practice areas are not so good). I can then differentiate T&H, by mentioning why they're practice areas are significantly better, i.e what they do differently and what separates them from the rest of the market etc

Do you guys think, that this the best approach to answer this sort of question?

Thanks,

SJ

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

Hope you've had a great festive period.

Currently, I am preparing my application to T&H and I have found it very, very difficult to answer/ go about answering, the question below:

Who are our main competitors and specifically demonstrate how we differentiate from the firms you name.

I have decided to talk about two practices areas which T&H are known for and compare this to those at two similar firms (i.e where those practice areas are not so good). I can then differentiate T&H, by mentioning why they're practice areas are significantly better, i.e what they do differently and what separates them from the rest of the market etc

Do you guys think, that this the best approach to answer this sort of question?

Thanks,

SJ

It's one of the hardest application questions I've seen, so I don't blame you for finding it tough! That sounds like a sensible approach. I took the same approach when answering a similar question here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-to-find-the-competitors-of-the-law-firms.93/.

Reactions: SJamal

SJamal

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    It's one of the hardest application questions I've seen, so I don't blame you for finding it tough! That sounds like a sensible approach. I took the same approach when answering a similar question here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-to-find-the-competitors-of-the-law-firms.93/.

Would it be worth comparing their practices areas to the office location? So if I’m applying the Birmingham office, T&H are well known for social housing in Birmingham, thus compare them to specific Birmingham firms ranked by top tier for social housing?

That way, I’m tailoring my application to the practice areas per the office, I’m applying too.

James I

Future Trainee
    May 13, 2018
    Hi there - I am a TC holder at Trowers (London office, to commence in March 2019) and answered this (or a very similar) question on my vac scheme application last year.

If you want my advice, look at other law firms who have a big presence in real estate nationally and some presence in the middle east - think other city/international midsized, e.g Pinsent Masons, Addleshaw, Eversheds etc.

The next bit is highlighting what makes Trowers unique when compared to these firms - e.g what is the 'real economy' they always bang on about? What benefit does having a strong public practice (social housing) give to Trowers instead of solely private commercial? etc. Are there any areas that Trowers is at the forefront of that their competitors are not?

Good luck! Any q's drop me a PM.

SJamal

Star Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    James,

Thanks for the advice, it’s greatly appreciated.

I’ve just finished the drafting this question today in fact, so your advice was super helpful. I will most definitely will PM you, if I have any further questions.

Thanks,

SJ

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    No worries - look forward to it!

J
    Hi James!

I went to the T&H on-campus presentation where they talked about the real economy. In my notes, I wrote down what he said - that "you can't put a value on real estate because of emotional connections and the impact on the wider community". I'm a bit confused about this point and how this affects the way T&H works- any advice?

James I

Future Trainee
    May 13, 2018
    Hi James!

I went to the T&H on-campus presentation where they talked about the real economy. In my notes, I wrote down what he said - that "you can't put a value on real estate because of emotional connections and the impact on the wider community". I'm a bit confused about this point and how this affects the way T&H works- any advice?

Hi Vicky,

I think most likely what they are referring to is the impact property has because of its 'physical' nature.

A good way to think of it is like this... if you assisted on a litigation dispute regarding the construction of a school/hospital/residences, there may be more emotion involved due to the impact this litigation has on the people in a community (it is a physical building after all) - I think some of Trowers' lawyers like the idea of being involved in commercial law but areas that have a 'real' impact because of its 'real' nature - you can feed off the idea of being able to see/touch/visit the thing you are disputing - and perhaps there are more emotions at stake (which you cannot always put a value on).

Conversely, if you think about a dispute between two financial institutions over a matter such as distressed debt or securities, the 'physical'/'real' impact on the community is arguably invisible - whilst a dispute over distressed debt as part of a pension fund can impact real people, what the institutions are arguing over is not necessarily tangible - and so as a lawyer, you don't really get to see what they are arguing over. As above, a portfolio of distressed debt always has an inherent value to it... but a dispute over the construction of a hospital (and the emotional impacts within the community) has arguably more than just a numeric value - I think some lawyers at Trowers like this because it is seen as the more 'human' side of commercial law - there is a human/emotion at the end of the litigation rather than just a number.

So to answer your question, I think Trowers lawyers prefer to operate within the 'real economy' because of its physical nature and the impact this visibly has on the wider economy/community. From experience, this is quite the daily motivating factor for people in certain departments at the firm such as projects/regeneration/housing - and because of this, they have become known as a firm with strong practices in most areas of real estate.

I know it's confusing at first but its one of those things you understand the more you get involved with the firm/speak to the associates.

Last edited:

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Hi Vicky,

I think most likely what they are referring to is the impact property has because of its 'physical' nature.

A good way to think of it is like this... if you assisted on a litigation dispute regarding the construction of a school/hospital/residences, there may be more emotion involved due to the impact this litigation has on the people in a community (it is a physical building after all) - I think some of Trowers' lawyers like the idea of being involved in commercial law but areas that have a 'real' impact because of its 'real' nature - you can feed off the idea of being able to see/touch/visit the thing you are disputing - and perhaps there are more emotions at stake (which you cannot always put a value on).

Conversely, if you think about a dispute between two financial institutions over a matter such as distressed debt or securities, the 'physical'/'real' impact on the community is arguably invisible - whilst a dispute over distressed debt as part of a pension fund can impact real people, what the institutions are arguing over is not necessarily tangible - and so as a lawyer, you don't really get to see what they are arguing over. As above, a portfolio of distressed debt always has an inherent value to it... but a dispute over the construction of a hospital (and the emotional impacts within the community) has arguably more than just a numeric value - I think some lawyers at Trowers like this because it is seen as the more 'human' side of commercial law - there is a human/emotion at the end of the litigation rather than just a number.

So to answer your question, I think Trowers lawyers prefer to operate within the 'real economy' because of its physical nature and the impact this visibly has on the wider economy/community. From experience, this is quite the daily motivating factor for people in certain departments at the firm such as projects/regeneration/housing - and because of this, they have become known as a firm with strong practices in most areas of real estate.

I know it's confusing at first but its one of those things you understand the more you get involved with the firm/speak to the associates.
    Thank you so much James- that's super helpful :)

Reactions: James I

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.