Two Vac Schemes - Can I cancel one?

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Hi guys,

I have recently accepted two vacation schemes for Early June-Late July. I have completed all background checks and have liaised with both Grad Rec teams. The first VS is the one I really want a TC at, and is earlier than the second.

If I gain a TC offer from the first, am I allowed to cancel the second despite already having accepted the Vac Scheme offer and signed offer letters etc. I live a long way from London and don't see the point in spending £££ on accommodation and living costs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best

JP

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I have recently accepted two vacation schemes for Early June-Late July. I have completed all background checks and have liaised with both Grad Rec teams. The first VS is the one I really want a TC at, and is earlier than the second.

If I gain a TC offer from the first, am I allowed to cancel the second despite already having accepted the Vac Scheme offer and signed offer letters etc. I live a long way from London and don't see the point in spending £££ on accommodation and living costs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best

JP
Yes, you can cancel. There is nothing really stopping you from reneging on your offer, and the firm (or any employer) is unlikely to seek out compensation for breach of contract given how much effort vs how much value there would be in doing so.

Reactions: Jaysen

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
Yes, you can cancel. There is nothing really stopping you from reneging on your offer, and the firm (or any employer) is unlikely to seek out compensation for breach of contract given how much effort vs how much value there would be in doing so.
Do firms often seek out compensation for breach of contract? Do you also think it is best to be straight up about the situation and explain that I have accepted a TC elsewhere?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do firms often seek out compensation for breach of contract? Do you also think it is best to be straight up about the situation and explain that I have accepted a TC elsewhere?
I have never heard of it happening at intern or graduate level. There is no sense in doing it - it’s too expensive, too time consuming and unlikely to bring any returns (eg What is the actual cost to the firm to replace you?).

Yes - I would be honest that you have accepted a TC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.