UCAS points

STWO

Distinguished Member
Jan 5, 2019
Hi all,

I think i have managed to confuse myself when calculating the UCAS points part on applications. The Shearman & Sterling guidance note says "As the UCAS Tariff changed in 2017, you should calculate your tariff based on your grades at the time you completed your A-levels." Now does this mean i should calculate all my grades (AS grades included) following the old system because I completed them before the new system came into place or do i use the new system to calculate all my grades? I know this is simple but i'm currently overthinking...

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I think i have managed to confuse myself when calculating the UCAS points part on applications. The Shearman & Sterling guidance note says "As the UCAS Tariff changed in 2017, you should calculate your tariff based on your grades at the time you completed your A-levels." Now does this mean i should calculate all my grades (AS grades included) following the old system because I completed them before the new system came into place or do i use the new system to calculate all my grades? I know this is simple but i'm currently overthinking...

This isn't really clear to me either. I feel like they should have said 'score' rather than grades in their guidance note. Does anyone have experience with this? If not, worth shooting them an email.

Reactions: Alice G and STWO

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
    I personally only include my A2s and other UCAS qualification I did when I was in my last year at school which I think is the norm
    If you include a UCAS qualification why wouldn't you include your AS level(s)? I don't think that's consistent or logical, but as long as OP meets the UCAS requirements (probably low) then I don't think it matters.

STWO

Distinguished Member
    Jan 5, 2019
    I personally only include my A2s and other UCAS qualification I did when I was in my last year at school which I think is the norm

I know the same. I’ve never included my AS levels.

If you include a UCAS qualification why wouldn't you include your AS level(s)? I don't think that's consistent or logical, but as long as OP meets the UCAS requirements (probably low) then I don't think it matters.

Now i'm confused even further... I'll email one of the law firms and ask them.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I’d definitely use the old system if you undertook A levels before 2017 and I include my A2 levels and AS level. I also include general studies if they don’t expressly say otherwise (but maybe that’s cheeky) they usually ask for the breakdown as it is so they can see what you have calculated so don’t worry too much :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Kelvin

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I include the UCAS qualification because it was something I did through England hockey, outside of school and academia, which I worked hard for so figured it was worthy of inclusion. I didn't do great at AS level so just keep my A2s which I scored significantly better on and which brought my grades up if that makes sense - I've never had an issue doing it this way personally as ultimately your A2s are what counts! But yeah @AJALLTHEWAY don't stress too much about this - it's not a massive deal as long as your important grades are on there it'll be fine but I believe most firms include A levels when asking for UCAS points and not AS's but could be wrong :)

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I include the UCAS qualification because it was something I did through England hockey, outside of school and academia, which I worked hard for so figured it was worthy of inclusion. I didn't do great at AS level so just keep my A2s which I scored significantly better on and which brought my grades up if that makes sense - I've never had an issue doing it this way personally as ultimately your A2s are what counts! But yeah @AJALLTHEWAY don't stress too much about this - it's not a massive deal as long as your important grades are on there it'll be fine but I believe most firms include A levels when asking for UCAS points and not AS's but could be wrong :)
    I have always put both in AS and A2, although as you say @Daniel it is the A2 that counts ultimately but as I did 5AS, it was easier to put them all down rather than omitting the ones I then went on to do the A2 in.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.